This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Over the past two years, I have fallen back in love with reading. With BookTok and constant recommendations from friends and social media I’m always adding more books to my “to be read” list. Although I’d love to spend all of my time reading, that just isn’t possible with a life full of school and work. All my life I’ve been an avid library user and for some reason it’s like the world has forgotten that they exist! I understand the enjoyment of buying books and adding them to your home library collection but why would you want to have books sit in your collection if you don’t even like them?

This is why I love the library! Just like bookstores you can browse the aisles looking for the perfect books and they typically have everything you could imagine. If you live in Waterloo like me, the Waterloo Public Library has plenty of great resources and options that make borrowing books super easy! The main library is only a 15 minute walk from the Waterloo campus and they have other locations all across the region.

All you need is a library card (which is free)! Their online website allows you to browse their catalogue and see what they have at the time. You can put books on hold online and pick them up whenever they become available for you or take advantage of the quiet building and see what they have in person. The Waterloo Public Library also has become fine free so if you forget to renew or return a book, don’t worry–you won’t be charged for it. Add books to your collection and read as many as you can and if you’re still desperate to add it to your permanent collection, then make the purchase!

The services at the library aren’t just limited to borrowing books anymore. There is an online system where you can read and borrow books digitally called Libby–accessible through your library card too. You can also borrow DVDs, CDs and vinyl, access 3D and regular printing services, digital recording spaces, board games and so much more.

If you aren’t from Waterloo, find out where your local library is and explore the programs and services they have to offer. There is something for everyone, even if it’s just your new favourite study space! Don’t forget about your school libraries either. Take advantage of their academic resources and ask your librarians questions, they are there to help you out!

I hope this inspired you to check out a library and save on some mindless book shopping. As much as you love it, maybe save it for the books that you can’t imagine living without.

Annabelle Ly

Wilfrid Laurier '27

I'm Annabelle and I am part of this years Writing team with Her Campus at Laurier! I have always had a passion for reading and writing and when finding out about this club, I instantly knew I wanted to join the team. Aside of HC, I am in school for Laurier's International Education Studies program with hopes of continuing down the path of teaching! In my free time, I enjoy listening to music – especially Taylor Swift, playing the piano or guitar, crocheting, and reading! Otherwise you could often find me watching Gilmore Girls or Criminal Minds.