Red Flags to Watch Out for in Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Most of us will come in contact with an individual who is toxic at some point in our lives. This can be especially upsetting when it is someone who you thought of as a friend. The best way to deal with poor friendships is to address prominent red flags as soon as they become noticeable. Bringing issues up and communicating with your friend can help solve your friendship problems. So, keep on reading to learn about some key red flags to watch out for.

when you feel exhausted after hanging out with them

If you come home feeling drained after hanging out with your friend, chances are that individual is sucking all the positive energy out of you. This can be a really big red flag in your friendship. Situations like constantly having to defend yourself or being friends with a drama queen can be a big culprit of this. Limiting your contact with these individuals can significantly improve your quality of life. 

They are never happy for you

Jealous friends can be really hard to deal with. These people usually have serious self-esteem issues and will take that out on you. Due to this, they will do things such as finding ways to speak negatively of your good news, see everything as a competition, minimize your accomplishments and more. Friends are supposed to lift each other. It is not your friend’s job to always make you feel better about yourself, however, if you come to them with some good news or advice, they should respond accordingly. If your friends are causing your insecurities, you need to address them. 

they only talk about themselves

You might be drawn to these individuals because they are usually outgoing, open and charming. But soon enough your friendship will start to feel one-sided, as you will rarely get to add your input. These people only talk about themselves and never let you speak. And when you do, they typically interrupt you. These individuals do not necessarily mean harm, sometimes they just genuinely like to speak and are enthusiastic. They can also have redeemable qualities, like perhaps the stories they share may be funny or insightful. So, I suggest you speak to them about the issue at hand. Chances are, they do not even know what they are doing. If the problem still occurs after you talk about it or if your friend seems to not be interested in the things you have to say and gives you minimal attention, it may be a sign that your friendship is toxic.

They only come to you when everyone else is busy

These individuals are fully taking you for granted because they know that you will always be there for them. Essentially, they see you as a backup plan for when they cannot reach anyone else to hang out with or give them advice. You are their last resort, and they are using you as they only talk to you when they need something from you. When you try to make plans with them, they always manage to come up with an excuse. It can be extremely hurtful if they never want to spend time with you or prefer the company of others. This can make you feel inadequate when in reality you are not the issue, your friend is. 

Remember that these are just a few of many red flags that occur in friendships. If you feel like there are issues present, the best thing to do is to talk to your friend about it. Communication is key. Your friend may also share their input or concerns, which will allow the both of you to see the situation from each other’s perspectives. Although, keep in mind that if someone is not willing to change or even willing to hear you out, it might be in your best interest to stop hanging out with this person. Life is short, so spend your time with the right people.

Elvan Ulkuseven

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Elvan is in her 2nd year at Wilfrid Laurier University studying Business Administration (BBA), with a minor in French. Her passions include reading and baking. She is very excited to be writing for Her Campus this year!