This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The new year is an incredibly daunting time for a lot of people, myself included. It’s filled with expectations like “new year, new me” and long-term goals that never really seem to make it past January. With the new year comes the expectation of a big change, but most years I’ll wake up January 1st questioning what’s different. Getting through this time of year can be a challenging time, so I’ve devised a couple of ways to help myself (and hopefully you) ring in the new year properly.

The very first thing I like to prepare just before the new year is a planner or calendar for any important dates I’ll need to remember throughout the year. I’ll compile a list of appointments, birthdays, anniversaries and events like weddings, and find a physical way to keep track of all of them. Personally, I don’t like using my phone calendar; it’s not customizable the way that I need it to be. My go-to is an undated planner. Going this route, I can customize the pages the way I want to and don’t have to stress about using it every day since I can always just pick up where I left off. There are plenty of options for these on Amazon or at Indigo.

The next step in my new year’s prep is to spend a day doing a deep clean of my living space. I find that I’m significantly more productive in a clean and organized environment. Knowing that everything has a place prevents me from stressing about losing track of items. I’ll go through my closet and get rid of any clothes that I don’t wear anymore, then I’ll go through the little areas throughout my room that have been piled with random things that I didn’t know what to do with. And once all the items are sorted, I’ll do a complete reset of all the larger aspects of my room. I’ll change the sheets and duvet and I’ll dust the shelves and mop the floors, all the things I should be doing more regularly but never seem to have the energy to do. I’ll top it with a brand new candle and some warm lighting to enjoy my freshly cleaned room.

Another thing I like to do before the new year is set some short-term, low-pressure goals and find some things to look forward to during the year. The whole idea of a New Year’s resolution has always been a challenge for me; every year, I’ll set one, but it never usually lasts past February. Whether it’s to make my bed or read a chapter of a book every day, there’s always the one lazy day that’ll mess up my streak. So last year, I decided I should start setting goals that are easily achieved, things that I could do every day and be proud of. Last year, I vowed to never go to sleep with makeup on, and whether I washed my face with a full routine or just used a makeup wipe, I was able to attain this goal because of how little pressure I put on myself to do it. I’ll also find a couple of different events during the year to keep me excited for the next thing. I plan small trips, extravagant dates, celebrations, concerts and really anything that will keep my spirits high. It’s always good to look forward to something to stay motivated.

The last step I take right before the new year, like a December 31st step, is taking a long, relaxing everything shower. I’m sure everyone has their own version of an everything shower, and it’s the perfect way to start your year fully refreshed and feeling great. It’s the shower to exfoliate, do a hair mask, a face mask and really anything else that will make you feel extra pampered. If you want to go the extra mile and you have access to a bathtub, treat yourself to a romantic bath with candles, a bath bomb, bubbles and a glass of wine.

From experience, I know the new year can be a tough time. I hope this helps make it a little less daunting of a change. To leave you, I want to stress how incredibly proud I am of you to have made it through this year. No matter what you’ve gone through, you woke up every day and gave it your best; that is no feat to ignore. Here’s to another year for us all. Happy 2024!

Much love, Evelyn<3

Evelyn Mendoza

Wilfrid Laurier '26

Evelyn is part of the writing team at the Laurier chapter for Her Campus. She is in her second year for an honours degree in English, while also minoring in Women's Studies and Philosophy. After graduating, Evelyn aspires to become a book publisher and editor. She loves to read (romance and fantasy being her favourite genres) and spending time with her six loving reptiles. If she's not at work or school, you'll usually find her curled up in bed watching Criminal Minds or taking a well needed nap.