This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Do you feel that today’s political climate is a hotter mess than your love life? Are you scared that all of your efforts towards getting that degree are pointless because our world might be ending anyway?

If so, take a deep a breath.

Everything will be okay. You will thrive romantically AND have a secure future.

Alright, great talk, I’ll see you all next week! Just kidding, I wish it was that simple.

Currently, the global community as a whole is facing an enormous amount of issues that need to be tackled. These issues range from climate change, war with other nations, genocides that are being covered up and politicians that don’t listen to the wants and needs of their nations. When hearing about all this negative news, it can definitely lead you to feeling hopeless and like things will never improve. Here are a few tips that can help you regain some hope in the world.

Tip #1: Raise awareness for issues that you are passionate about

When listening to disheartening news, especially listening to situations that are happening on the other side of the world, it’s often hard to see how your actions can have an impact. However, sharing informative articles about these events and donation links for relief funds allows a larger amount of people to be informed about these situations and can even bring media attention to news stories.

You can take raising awareness to the next level by writing articles about issues, blog posts or other creative content that can inform others about issues in an interesting way. For instance, a friend of mine (shout out Ashoke Mohanraj) who is super passionate about the environment has both a blog and podcast dedicated to discussions about environmentalism. Here’s the link if you want to check it out: https://ispeak4thetrees.com/about/.

He has not only been able to inform others about the different aspects of environmentalism, but has also motivated others to become more environmentally conscious – including myself!

Tip #2: Join clubs and participate in initiatives that will help you tackle issues

A crucial part in inciting change is having the power to do so.

Getting involved with different organizations is a great way to ease your anxious feelings about the future, as you are taking actions right now to make a difference. For instance, initiatives like the Climate Strike Canada and the Women’s March provide a safe platform for individuals to share their opinions on certain issues. Similar to tip one, these clubs and initiatives have the power to bring more media attention to specific issues, which can help inspire action being taken at a higher level.

For instance, last year I took part in a youth open-mic platform called Stay Woke that was created in order to fuel both social and global change. At this event, I spoke about some common myths about feminism and was able to inform others about how feminism is an issue that affects both men and women. Through this event, I was able to learn about a variety of issues that I hadn’t previously been informed on.

Tip #3: Take small steps towards making the world a better place

There is often the misconception that global issues can only be tackled by the government or politicians. However, I would have to disagree.

Before politicians and government members are professionals in their fields, they’re also humans just like you and me. Once we take away that power, we have the same capability to live our lives in a way that can help prevent issues from expanding. For instance, small actions like taking public transportation, carpooling and unplugging your appliances can help towards the large-scale issue of climate change. Similarly, being an individual who doesn’t discriminate against others and stands up for victims of racism, prevent negativity and hatred from spreading. Even the simple act of voting in elections for a candidate that will help your nation progress is a step in the right direction.

Although these actions don’t seem to be attacking the root of our issues, they can have an impact on whether or not these issues continue.

Tip #4: Take a break from activism

This tip seems counter-intuitive, considering how I’ve been talking about informing others about various global issues. However, I feel that even the most hopeful and dedicated individuals can feel a bit burnt out sometimes – which is completely valid.

If you find yourself getting frustrated or losing hope in the world, acknowledge how your efforts of staying informed and informing others have had a positive impact. Moreover, look at examples in which nations and organization have proven to be helpful – such as various peacekeeping initiatives, Greta Thunberg calling out politicians for their lack of action and many more! Once you’re ready, you can start getting involved again.

Overall, the world is kind of a messy place, and it can be discouraging at times when you feel that there aren’t enough actions being taken to improve it. However, when you start to lose hope in the world, take a look at all of the amazing efforts that people have made in order to make life better for others, and acknowledge the steps that you’ve taken in order to help others and raise awareness on important issues.

YOU have the power to make a difference, so don’t lose hope and start taking action!

Anuva Arrya Sharma

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Anuva A. Sharma is a passionate writer and an advocate for marginalized people. When she isn't writing articles, you'll likely find her reading a good book and drinking some cranberry tea or dancing!
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her