Wellness

The One Little Thing You Should Do to Support Your Female Colleagues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I was recently in one of those working situations where you just can’t seem to get a word in. I kept opening my mouth to give feedback after a presentation, but the other executives kept speaking over me. It happens in person, but I think it happens even more over Zoom – it’s more difficult to pick up when someone is trying to speak.

Nonetheless, it’s frustrating. And frustratingly common. According to a study by George Washington University, men will interrupt a colleague 33% more often if the colleague speaking is a female. Over a three-minute conversation, men would interrupt women on average 2.1 times. In contrast, women would on average only interrupt once. Even at the Supreme Court, according to a study by the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, female justices being interrupted accounted for 32% of interruptions overall while they contributed only 4% of total interruptions.

So, what can be done about it? Pointing out that you’ve been interrupted every time it happens isn’t sustainable, and fair or not, consistently pushing back can make you seem difficult and unlikeable. If it is a consistent issue from one individual, absolutely speak up and assert that you are being interrupted. But someone else pointing it out? That’s a different story.

During one of my meetings, I had another executive who was also providing feedback in the same room as me, and she witnessed a scenario where I was interrupted three times in a row while trying to give feedback. Then she made a point to turn to me and say, “Bria, what were you trying to say?” This offered the opportunity to give my feedback with no one interrupting me. It was polite and non-accusatory, but it definitely made a point.

Be mindful in your meetings, and if you notice a colleague is being interrupted, then give them the opportunity to speak. Sometimes activism and female empowerment require large acts to change the system. But sometimes, all it takes to make a difference is to let someone know that you hear other people are speaking over them and that you want to hear what they have to say.

Bria Steele

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Bria is a 3rd year psychology student at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!