Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

My Thoughts: Rory Gilmore Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, fall or should I say Gilmore Girls season. It is time to watch Rory Gilmore grow up in the beautiful town of Stars Hallow and head off to Yale University. Growing up, Rory was always my comfort character because we had so much in common in terms of goals and living in a small town. Even to this day, Rory is still a comfort character of mine, but I have some opinions about the avid reader and the choices that she makes throughout her life.  

Season 1-3 

At the beginning of the show, I was in love with Rory. I loved her backstory and everything that she stood for. She was confident in what she wanted and knew that nobody could stop her from achieving her goals. For me, a highlight of these seasons is seeing Rory grow up and achieve her dreams while at Chilton. No matter what, even Paris couldn’t stop her from going out for the school newspaper and getting into Yale. Rory always knew what she wanted and her fun-loving, academic mindset and interest in Dean and Jess always made me think that she would be my favourite character throughout the show.  

Season 4-7 

As Rory started her life at Yale University, I was excited to see where the show would take her character. I will admit, it was nice to see Rory not get everything handed to her on a silver platter as it made her seem more relatable to the rest of the world. With this, Rory’s character development starts to take a turn and almost turns her into the villain of the show. While I love Rory and understand how going to university can be such a big change in someone’s life, I don’t think that I would steal a boat for a man’s attention. By the end of the show, we see Rory start to return to a bit of her old self in terms of being spoiled (the whole “my Dean incident”) and being the town’s most loved individual. Even though I wasn’t a huge fan of her by the end of the show, I understood where she was coming from in certain situations.  

Revival 

I had a lot of hope for Rory’s character in the revival, and I was majorly disappointed. The writers managed to somehow take the most stubborn and direct person in the show (besides Emily) and turn them into a jobless and confused individual. I hated this version of Rory more than season 4-7 Rory. The one thing that I did find funny, that most of the world did not, was that they made Rory end up in a similar situation that Lorelai was in, which was the whole plot at the beginning of the show.  

Overall, I love Rory. She is still one of my favourite characters throughout the show, even through her difficult times. All I know is that the writers, in my opinion, did her dirty and we deserve a season 1-3 Rory again! 

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.