Style

My Pinterest-Inspired Closet for this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We might only be one week into March, but the city of Waterloo and I have now been shown sunlight for the first time in months, which means I’m ready for it to be spring. With sunny, warm days comes a brand-new mindset and for me personally, a refreshed wardrobe. I’m constantly scrolling Pinterest and TikTok for new inspiration of outfit ideas I can put together and as always, I’m constantly wanting to go thrifting for new pieces. However, I don’t need to be adding more clothes to my already exploding closet, so I’m wanting to focus on wearing what I already have or make!

1. Long skirts

Long skirts are a classic and have been some of my favourite pieces of clothing that I’ve added to my collection lately. They’re such a simple piece, which can often be made more fun with a fun pattern and a matching top or played down a little with a white top. These are perfect for cooler days when they’re paired with a long sleeve or sweater and can be worn with nearly any type of footwear; I find they go well with my Blundstones, Converse and Birkenstocks!

2. Spring jackets

Lighter, spring jackets (and jeans) are my favourite items to thrift. Living in Ontario, spring weather is often very unpredictable, and we can go from hot, 20-degrees to cold  the next day. Getting to ditch the heavy, winter coat is such a relief once we make the switch to spring but being able to have even a small layer in the form of a light jacket can be extremely helpful. I’ve really lucked out thrifting finding affordable–but still good quality–denim, corduroy and leather jackets that are perfect for those cooler days.

3. Knitwear

Now, this one might be slightly more niche as I’ve recently taken up knitting (currently working on my first sweater!) but knitwear isn’t just for the fall and winter! While I’ve been an avid crocheter for years, I recently discovered the craft of knitting and noticed it’s much more diverse than crochet and can be very fitting for spring weather. It’s often much more breathable and knitwear can come in the form of spring and summer clothing too. I can’t necessarily afford to buy quality knitwear from retail stores but when there’s a good find at the thrift store, I will get it (and obviously continue to attempt to make my own pieces too–which you could do too)!

4. Elevating with jewelry

Jewelry is such a simple addition that you can make to your outfits, especially for nights out! I have my staple pieces that I wear every day, but I’d love to start switching it up for the warmer months. Like knitwear, jewelry is awfully expensive which makes getting new pieces hard to do (especially for those with sensitive skin). I love going to the St. Jacobs Farmer’s Market–for those in Waterloo–for finding new silver rings and my favourite beaded bracelets! They aren’t too pricy, and I know they’re made by local sellers!

I hope this helps you all get inspired in your future outfit creating this season! And if you’re ever feeling stuck, don’t forget Pinterest is always there for you to mindlessly scroll through to pin away your dream looks.

Annabelle Ly

Wilfrid Laurier '27

I'm Annabelle and I am part of this years Writing team with Her Campus at Laurier! I have always had a passion for reading and writing and when finding out about this club, I instantly knew I wanted to join the team. Aside of HC, I am in school for Laurier's International Education Studies program with hopes of continuing down the path of teaching! In my free time, I enjoy listening to music – especially Taylor Swift, playing the piano or guitar, crocheting, and reading! Otherwise you could often find me watching Gilmore Girls or Criminal Minds.