This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As someone who has always been very creative, I enjoy making crafts and creating pieces of art. I especially enjoy creating pieces of art centered around a particular theme or time of year. By far, my favourite time of year to create art and partake in making crafts is fall. There are so many colours everywhere. Plus, Halloween is a time to get creative and show off your artsy skills. With so much creativity in the air, there are many crafts and art pieces to make. Here are just a few of my favourite craft activities to do during the fall season.

Candle Painting

Recently, candle painting has gone viral on social media. Before its success on social media, I had always enjoyed candle painting with my family and friends. If you don’t know what candle painting is, it’s when you melt coloured candles, dip a paintbrush into the melted wax and paint a design on another candle. You can create any design you wish, and it’s something fun to decorate your bedroom or living room with. During this time of year, I like to create ghosts, spiders and leaves on various coloured candles. Just make sure you lay something down, for example, a tablecloth or piece of paper, so you don’t get wax everywhere.

Supplies you will need include any candles (preferably coloured and a white candle) and paintbrushes.

Painting Pumpkins

Now, you can do many things with a pumpkin during this time of year, but my favourite activity to do with them is paint them. When I say that, I don’t mean to paint a scary face on the pumpkin and place it outside as a decoration. What I mean is, paint a design or scenery on the pumpkin. Use the pumpkin as a canvas and let your creativity flow. Some of my favourite designs include a haunted forest, pumpkin patch and bowl of candy.

Supplies you will need include paint (preferably acrylic), a pumpkin and paintbrushes.

Sign Painting

It may just be me, but I can never find a sign I like enough to hang up in my living room or bedroom. There are many cute and trendy options, but I can’t ever find a sign with the correct phrase or the right colours. That’s why I started making my own. I’ve even begun making them for friends and family, giving them as holiday gifts. This is the perfect craft to do with friends or on your own. By far, this is my favourite craft on the list.

Supplies you will need include paint (preferably acrylic), a wooden sign and paintbrushes.

While there are so many more crafts and activities I love to do during the fall season, these are my top three favourites. All of them can be done on your own or with family and friends. Try one the next time you are looking for something to do or have a get-together with your friends.

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.