My Experience Lucid Dreaming With Spotify Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A common topic that often comes up in conversations throughout my life is sleep. Especially among university students, finding time to rest when you’re stressed out about assignments (and a global pandemic that has turned your world upside down) can make it hard to fall asleep at night or have a truly restful sleep.

Like many of you, I was suffering from this. I never felt truly rested – I slept a full 8 hours every night, yet during the day, (usually around 1:00) I found my energy fading and the familiar feeling of needing to take a nap would seep into my bones. Unfortunately, this would cut into the time that I would spend either doing my readings for the week or catching up on my assignments.

Then one night when I was tossing and turning, I discovered the large world of lucid dreaming podcasts on Spotify. To my surprise, there was a large collection of playlists on Spotify specifically curated to assist you with lucid dreaming. Curious, I decided to try one.

Conveniently, Spotify also features a sleep timer, so your chosen playlist will stop after a certain time period (when going to bed, I usually choose the one-hour time restriction just to be safe)!

The next morning, I woke up surprised that I hadn’t felt myself fall asleep. I was completely out, and I had accidentally slept in. It was 9:00 am, and I was usually up for 7. Whoops.

Thinking back over my sleep, I realized that my dreams had been far more vivid than usual. Additionally, I could actually remember them.

Over the course of the next week, I listened to the same playlist every night when falling asleep. I continued to have the same results; remembering what I had dreamt about the previous night.

Currently, I switch up the playlist I use every night to see if it has an effect on what I can remember the following day and see if the content of my dreams changes dramatically.

As someone who tends to suffer from anxiety dreams, I have noticed that by using these playlists, I do not have as many anxiety dreams as I would normally have. Furthermore, my dreams are far more colourful and vibrant overall.

However, even though they claim to give you lucid dreams, I do not think that I have fully experienced lucid dreaming yet. I assume this is something that I will build up to, and that these playlists simply act as a sleep aid.

Overall, using these playlists has helped my sleep dramatically improve. If you are someone who struggles to get to sleep (or stay asleep), I highly encourage you to give them a try! Who knows, you may experience lucid dreaming yourself and tap into the many layers of dreaming.

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!