“Let It Go” and Travel “Into the Unknown” with Frozen 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The world has mixed feelings about Frozen. Unless you were five in 2013 (in which case omg where did you get this article??), “Let It Go” probably makes you want to pull out your hair. I for one would argue that the first film’s unprecedented success caused a market saturation of Frozen crap for years, and as a spiteful person it made me want to hate the film on principle. But I actually like the first Frozen movie. It’s not the best Disney movie out there, or even the best Disney princess movie, but “Let It Go” is a really good song, and the movie is cute with a powerful message.

Okay now that that’s out of the way, let’s talk about Frozen 2.

I won’t lie to you. I am incredibly biased when it comes to Disney movies, but when I heard they were making a Frozen sequel, I didn’t really see the point. The story was already wrapped up, so why make a sequel? But then the teaser trailer came out, and I kid you not, I was crying in the library. It looked like we were going to see something new and unique, and I was excited.

For months, my friend and I talked about going to see it, and last weekend a group of us went and watched it. Spoiler alert: I cried…a lot.

Frozen 2 follows Elsa, Anna and the rest of the gang as they journey “Into the Unknown” to answer the call of a mysterious voice to try and save Arendelle and an enchanted forest trapped by an old curse. Each character needs to unlock parts of themselves they may not have known they had within them in order to save the day, and none of them will leave the woods the way they came in, if they leave at all.

First of all, this movie is visually stunning. The animation is gorgeous and the setting is just delightful. All of the character designs are beautiful (Elsa with her hair down made me ugly-cry). The music is also amazing. Going into this movie I was convinced “Into the Unknown” was going to be the next “Let It Go,” but there are a couple songs that might do it, so brace yourselves for that (don’t worry, they’re all good). And finally, the plot and character arcs in this film flow naturally with the first film, creating a world and characters that I would love to see again.

I think this film is a little more grown-up than the first one. The theme of growing up is a major part of this film, and it is done really well. The movie’s subconscious message is more complex than the original as well, as if the movie is growing up with its fans. Most of the character growth is powerful and easy to get invested in, and you should leave the film feeling really satisfied with the direction every character has taken, especially those of Elsa and Anna. Both of them really grow into themselves in this movie, and I don’t think anyone can complain about where they end up.

This was a sequel that built on the original without cashing in on it, and I think it added to the story and the world. It’s definitely a must-see for fans of the original, and I would argue all Disney fans should see this movie, whether you like Frozen or not. The story is very different from the original, while still building on the world and the characters, and pushing the boundaries of the narrative.

I’m trying to avoid spoiling anything because I think this is a good movie to go into with little or no knowledge, but just know that everything is really powerful and moving, while still being light-hearted and funny (Olaf had me in stitches multiple times in this film).

Alright, that’s all I want to say about this movie, at least in this spoiler-free review. Definitely watch it. I promise you will cry, in the best way.

I rate this film 4.5 out of 5 adorable snow-eating lizards.

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her