This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The war in Ukraine has been ongoing for over a month now, with no resolution in sight. If you do not know what is going on, well I hate to say it, but you might be living under a rock. That being said, if you need more information, I have written an article outlining all the information you need to know about Ukraine and Russia and the ongoing conflict. I believe that reading my first article would be a great place to start. I concluded that article with ways you can support Ukraine and since then, there have been updates. A major development for Laurier students is the Laurier Helps Ukraine initiative that will be taking place from March 26th – April 11th.

Laurier Helps Ukraine is the newest club at Laurier, rising from students’ understanding and care for the well-being of Ukrainian people and supporting peace in this time of conflict. This is a completely student-led project that aims to provide humanitarian support for all refugees affected by the war in Ukraine. The goal, as stated by the club, is to get as many students involved in coming together as a community to fundraise for those in need.  At the end of the day, we are a part of the Laurier community but also a part of a global community. All the proceeds of this fundraiser will go to the Canada-Ukraine Foundation and Help-Us-Help, which aims at providing the initial relief effort to those fleeing the conflict.

To raise money, Laurier Helps Ukraine is selling $5 tickets that buys one entry to a huge prize pool. The ticket sales are unlimited so you can buy as many as you want. With additional entries to those who tag three (one comment with three people tagged = one entry) people under the Laurier Helps Ukraine event post (@laurierhelpsukraine)! There are some amazing prizes to be won in exchange for supporting a very important and necessary cause. These prizes include Airpod Pros, a $100 facial to Anita’s Spa, a $120 facial to Jolanta’s Spa, a manicure and pedicure to Euro reflections, two landmark movie tickets and two large popcorns and drinks, three day-passes to Grand River Rocks + gear rental, two $25 gift cards to Pub on King +  six line bypasses and a $50 Ultimate Dining Gift card.

This initiative run by students is a great way to help Ukraine. Laurier Helps Ukraine will be running a booth in the concourse for the next week where they will be selling tickets, handing out pamphlets, giving out candy/stickers/pins and having meaningful conversations about important world events. It is vital to have these conversations and important to not only gain more insight and understanding but create meaningful change that can make a difference in the lives of others.

Buy your tickets here: https://bit.ly/LaurierHelpsUkraineSweepstakes

All other donations can go here: https://bit.ly/LaurierHelpsUkraine

Liv Sinclair

Wilfrid Laurier

I am a 2nd year political science student who enjoys writing and connecting with people. Writing has always been an important part of my life and I'm excited to be able to share my work with those who read it.