Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Academics

In My Rory Gilmore Study Era

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Everyone knows September and October are the months to romanticize school. We see our academic queen Rory Gilmore treat studying as a hobby rather than a chore. As I sit in the science building on Waterloo campus right now, I look at the serene greenery and embody Rory’s passion for learning. Now, I’m not saying I’m a Yale scholar or anything like that but I like to think the mindset we have towards our academics plays a big role in our marks.

I know school can be mentally draining at times and can feel overwhelming but the more you want to study the more you will and romanticizing is all about your mindset. For example, instead of complaining about writing an assignment, grab a coffee, put on Taylor Swift and find a comfy public area to start your work. The reason why I personally choose public areas when studying is because it holds me accountable to actually do my work. My room has distractions which lead me to procrastinate. So maybe try the library, a coffee shop or take after me and go to a building on campus. Sometimes even being around other smart people makes me want to learn more too so, get together with some friends or host a study date to benefit you and somebody else.

We all reach a breaking point in our studies, to help avoid burnout from happening, next time you get stressed or feel overwhelmed take a walk to clear your mind. I know that sounds cliché but sometimes escapism can help improve your working habits. Don’t like walking? You can romanticise that too!

Rory Gilmore is not the perfect student, nor daughter, nor girlfriend but you don’t need to be perfect to get what you want. If you want good grades, ‘fake it until you make it’ as the saying goes and pretend you’re excited to learn more about history, psychology or sociology, and maybe by the end of your study session that fact will actually become true.

Another great way to push yourself to study is by using a reward system. Rory uses this while studying whenever she wants to hang out with her mom, wants ice cream or even when she wants a coffee from Luke’s. Having something to look forward to can help motivate us to complete our task. If your favourite thing to do is hangout with friends then set yourself a two-hour time limit to get your work done and hangout with your friends after the time is up. For example, start your work at 2 pm and then hang out with your friends at 4 pm. Setting a designated time can keep you on track.

So use the change of the season to change your mindset about studying. A few of these simple tips can set you up for success! Happy studying, girlies!

Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hi everyone!! My name is Kayla and I'm a first year studying communications at Wilfrid Laurier University. I'm originally from Hamilton which is about an hour away from Waterloo. I am apart of the writing team here at Her Campus WLU and am very grateful for the opportunity to write on a big platform. Through my communications major I have discovered that I love media and I love to write. At my high school I was a Prefect which means I helped students adjust to the change from elementary school into high school. I know it can be a difficult adjustment which is why I want to help other first years feel comfortable and welcome during their adjustment from high school into university. During my high school years I worked at a grocery store where I managed customer service and helped train new employees. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my dog when I'm at home. My favourite book would have to be the Secret History by Donna Tartt (if you haven't read it yet i highly recommend), another few favourites are Normal People, The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the Shatter Me series. My all time favourite artist would have to be Lana Del Rey and a very close second are the Arctic Monkeys. As for movies I have a wide range of favourites including Dead Poets Society, Gone Girl, The Breakfast Club, Black Swan, Alice in Wonderland, Clueless, and Little Women. My doggy is 8 years old and is the most precious thing in my life. I love any kind of animal but dogs are probably my favourite. A lot of my humour stems from the show New Girl and if you see me I'll probably be drinking a Dr.Pepper. Anyways, thank you for reading Her Campus and I look forward to writing to you!