Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Stay Close to Your Long-Distance Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Long-distance friendships can be really tough. One minute you’re hanging out with your friends every weekend and the next you’re scattered across different cities or even countries. It’s a reality that many of us face but fear not, because long-distance friendships can be just as amazing and rewarding as the local ones! So, here are some tips on how you can navigate your long-distance friendships and stay just as close despite not being physically close!

Embrace technology

Technology is your best friend when it comes to long-distance friendships. It’s the best and easiest way to stay connected to those you care about who are too far away to see regularly. Being able to call and text is the best way to keep in contact with your long-distance friends. When I was studying abroad, I had regular Facetime calls with my friends back at home that always felt like we were hanging out. Now that I’m home, I have regular Facetime calls with some of the friends I made over in Europe. Video calls are such a great way to be semi-face-to-face with your friends! Social media is another one of the best ways to stay updated on what everyone is doing, one of my personal favourites is BeReal. Even if we don’t text every day, I still feel like I’m caught up on their daily lives through the one post a day on there.

Create shared experiences

One of the hardest parts about being away from your friends is that you don’t get to experience life with them and it can feel like all you do is tell them about the highlights from what happened since you last talked. I’ve learned that the best way to let friendships thrive is by experiencing things together. Even when you’re far apart, you can still have shared experiences even if it’s just having a Netflix party or starting your own mini book club!

Plan a visit

If your bank account and schedule allow it, you should definitely try to visit! Spending time with someone after not seeing them for a while always makes you appreciate the time that you have together even more! Plus, it’ll give you something to look forward to when you’re trying to get through your work and just want to spend time with your friend!

Communicate openly

Don’t be afraid to be open and honest with your friend about how you feel. If something is bothering you, speak up! Long-distance friendships thrive on open communication. If something is bothering you or if you feel neglected in your friendship, make sure you bring it up with your friend because chances are that they didn’t know you were feeling that way!

Long-distance friendships many have their challenges but they’re well worth the effort. After all, they do say that distance makes the heart grow fonder! With open communication, a dash of creativity and the knowledge that true friendship knows no bounds, it’s easier to keep those long-distance friendships alive and well!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.