Style > Decor

How to Redecorate Your Room Based on Different Aesthetics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With spring just around the corner, it seems like a perfect time for a switch-up. If you want to redecorate your room, now is the perfect time to do it! If you want ideas on how to transform your room and make it look like your favourite aesthetic, look no further!

1. Cottage-core

If you wish to escape the fast-paced city life and settle into a little cottage by a farm somewhere to live out your days in leisure, then cottage-core is your aesthetic. This aesthetic uses lots of earthy, neutral tones such as browns, whites, creams and pale greens. Indoor plants, wall vines, wildflowers and cute animal-based patterns are great for wall décor. Finally, make sure to accessorize with vintage yet understated books and floral candles and perhaps investigate flower-pressing as a new hobby! 

2. Indie 

Do you feel like the main character in a coming-of-age movie? If yes, the indie aesthetic is for you! The indie aesthetic is all about vibrance. Instead of painting your room a bright colour (unless you want to), you can use vibrant posters, tapestries and throws to decorate your room. Try putting up posters of your favourite independent artists and their albums. Plus, you can use your skateboards, guitars or old record players as décor for these rooms. 

3. Dark Academia  

Dark Academia is for literature fanatics obsessed with western art, style and academics. This aesthetic favours (obviously) dark colours such as greys, browns, greens or even beiges. The best way to decorate this sort of room would be with plenty of books, especially the classics. You can also use old newspaper clippings, sketches and drawings to decorate your walls. You can also use globes, ink pots, maps, candles or even flasks to decorate your surroundings. The most important part is to ensure the atmosphere is right; use warm lights in this room, preferably lamps or fairy lights. 

4. Y2K

The Y2K aesthetic has become extremely popular recently; look to your favourite 2000’s chick-flicks for décor ideas when choosing this aesthetic. Vibrant and baby pinks are popular Y2K colours, as is pink décor. Heart or butterfly-shaped décor and posters, pearls, furry throws and pink LED lights are perfect accessories to put in this room. Make sure to display your bags and shoes too!

5. Grunge

Last, but not least, is the grunge aesthetic. This one is similar to the indie aesthetic as it’s based on ’90s nostalgia, but it’s a bit darker. Darker greens, blues and greys define the grunge aesthetic. Once again, using posters of your favourite grunge bands, guitars or even old records, is a great way to style this room. Blurry polaroids, tapestries, dreamcatchers and skull-shaped decorations are great decor choices for this room. It’s also a good idea to use fairy or LED lights to perfect the ambiance of the grunge room. 

I hope some of these suggestions have inspired you to decorate your room with your new favourite theme!

Bhavya Jagdev

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bhavya is a third-year BBA student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She loves to read (her favourite genres are fantasy and mystery) and spend a little too much money at Starbucks. She also enjoys travelling, spending time with her friends and family and (of course) writing.