This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I haven’t finished a book since the summer. As someone who reads regularly, it feels odd and a little wrong. In September, I gave up on a sci-fi book I’d been forcing myself to read since June. In October, I got halfway through the Game of Thrones prequel before needing to step back from that too. Since then, I’ve been reading a 19th century short story collection written by female authors. It’s more intriguing, but I still haven’t finished it. Here are a few methods that I will use to dig myself out of a reading slump, which will hopefully be helpful to you as well!

1.  Go back to a familiar voice

Lately, I’ve been reading books by a lot of different authors. Specifically, period authors and new writers whose work I haven’t been exposed to before. Trying out multiple authors that I haven’t been super enthralled with is definitely contributing to my reading slump. To avoid this, my next read will be written by an author I’m familiar with. Knowing what the author’s style is and how easy their books are to get through hints at what the reading experience will be like. It’s always easier to get through the plot, characters and genres that you already enjoy!

2.  Aim for fast-paced novels

Before I’d established that my reading slump was in fact a slump, I chose to read a 19th century collection of spooky short stories. They’re interesting, but I don’t think anyone’s ever referred to 19th century writing as “fast-paced.” If you’re in a reading slump, you’re better off reading a novel with lots of action, tension and simpler language. These books tend to be quick reads that are less heavy content-wise, which will make them easier to get through. Even if this isn’t what you normally read, it’s helpful to take a break from what’s currently reducing your reading appetite. It’s okay to admit that Jane Austen isn’t exactly a get-out-of-a-reading-slump type of novel.

3.  Start Short

An 800-page novel isn’t a great first choice when you’re trying to get back into the groove of reading. Shorter novels, stories or even graphic novels are a better place to start. If you usually read novels, aim for the 250–300-page options. Once you finish the novel, you’ll feel satisfied with your progress and may want to start something longer afterwards. Speaking of length, don’t attach a timeline to a book. You may want to finish a short book in a few days or a week, but that takes away from the purpose. It should take you however long it’s meant to take. You’re trying to get back into wanting to read. So, pushing yourself to complete a book for the sake of it is only going to have the opposite effect.

Reading isn’t supposed to feel like a chore. So, don’t feel bad if you’ve given a book a chance and you can’t seem to get through it. Move on and try the next one! Best of luck!

Eden DeMarco

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Eden is a 2nd year student studying Business Administration with a minor in English at Wilfrid Laurier University. She spends her spare time reading books, drawing and binging new thriller series on Netflix. She can be found browsing for hours in Chapters or listening to music in her backyard.