Wellness

How to Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A question I’ve seen recently as I’ve scrolled on the ambitious side of social media is the question of whether you would rather be uncomfortable now or later? I’ve gathered that this is asking would you rather take a chance, try your best and be uncomfortable now or hold it off and be even more uncomfortable for not doing it sooner. Taking risks is a part of growth and is key to either changing your circumstances or becoming a whole new you. I’ve found that because I’ve given myself the label of “shy” that I’ve held myself back from trying new things or taking opportunities in unfamiliar places. Since I no longer want to distance myself from what makes me happy, I’ve been taking the time to think about what I really want to do and what I need to do to achieve it.

Lately I’ve been trying to be more proactive about my goals and I think that I should start with my hobbies and the people I choose to surround myself with. I’ve found that part of this includes having discipline and consistency in my life. For example, I’ve been trying to go to the gym more consistently and slowly integrate this routine into my lifestyle. With that comes healthy eating and these are both mood boosters that are honestly making my days feel brighter and warmer despite the dreary weather we’re currently dealing with. I’ve also started to consider reading more and taking up photography.

To take these first steps it’s important to shift your mindset. Instead of viewing discomfort as negative, it needs to be seen as an opportunity for growth. I’ve learned that it’s important to view these steps as opportunities to becoming the best version of yourself. A growth mindset is also necessary to seeing discomfort in a positive way. Dedication is related to one’s mindset and how consistent you are with your goals all comes down to discipline.

Recently my cousin who is a photographer took me along to a resume panel event she was hired to work at. I helped take LinkedIn photos for people and pictures of the event. I met many of her friends and it was a great introduction to professional photography. I plan to attend more of her events and learn more about art. Although I may have been nervous at first, I’m glad I got to do this. I encourage everyone who reads this to also go for what they want and not be afraid of doing it alone or scared of what the outcome might be because at the end of the day you should consider everything you try to be a learning experience.

I think it’s important to step out of one’s comfort zone regularly. This could happen through taking up a new sport or a skill like I’ve done. Seeking these experiences out will inevitably make them less intimidating as time goes on. From this I’ve learned that it’s okay to be nervous about trying new things but it’s important to not let that stop you from pursuing them anyway.

Hayatt Usman

Wilfrid Laurier '26

Hayatt Usman is a writer for Her Campus and covers topics such as fashion, lifestyle, and wellness. She is a communication studies major in her second year at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario. She's passionate about writing and is excited to be a part of this wonderful community! Hayatt's career goals include marketing and advertising, and her interests range from discovering new music to listen to, working out at the gym, and going for runs. Email: hayattusman@gmail.com