This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The recent school lockdown has caused Laurier staff, students, and parents alike to be on high alert; but as the old saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining. This security scare may have inspired students to look into safety resources on campus more thoroughly than they would have otherwise. There are tons of resources both on and off campus provided by Laurier and the city of Waterloo that specialize in making you feel as safe as possible this school year.

1. SafeHawk App

SafeHawk is a new safety centered mobile app launched by Wilfrid Laurier University. It is compatible with iPhone, Blackberry, and Android devices. In terms of safety features, SafeHawk is the whole package. With features like campus safety alerts, personal and academic support systems, plus the ability to contact various police services at any time of the day, it is quite literally safety at your fingertips. The best part about it? It’s all for free! SafeHawk is essential to each and every Golden Hawk’s app collection.

2. Foot Patrol

Whether you live off campus, are walking home from a late class, or just feel unsafe in general, Foot Patrol has your back. Located on the first floor of the Fred Nichols building, across the stairwell from the Food Terrace, Foot Patrol is a student-run organization that will accompany you on your walk anytime from 6:30 pm to 3:00 am, seven days a week. And it gets even better; if you’re somewhere off campus and you’re feeling nervous about walking home alone, you can give foot patrol a call and they’ll have someone head over and meet you there. Perfect for heading home from a late night out! 

3. Special Constables

The Special Constables is a police service, dedicated to ensuring the safety and well-being of Wilfrid Laurier students. They are there for you no matter what your issue is. The Special Constable service can be reached 24/7, including holidays, through their phone line, the SafeHawk app, the student services office across from the dining hall, or their admin office, conveniently located right beside Phil’s.

4. Stay Connected

Staying connected isn’t hard for most collegiettes. We’re a tech-savvy population that almost always has either a cell phone or laptop at arms-length away. Checking sources like the Laurier website, Facebook page, and your MyLaurier email can keep you updated on what’s going on around the school and the city of Waterloo, like the recent lockdown or the infamous BB gun shooter. After all, you can’t handle a potentially dangerous situation if you’re unaware of it.

5. Buddy System

I’m sure everyone reading this knows about the buddy system, whether it’s from field trips to the swimming pool in elementary school or pairing up at summer camp. But just because we’ve all grown up and entered the “adult world”, we don’t have to throw away all of our childhood traditions. We may be old enough to live on our own and buy our own groceries, but we sure aren’t too old for the buddy system! Always making sure you’ve got a friend by your side is the easiest way to stay safe and have fun while doing so.

School safety is high priority for all schools, Wilfrid Laurier University included, and the resources provided are the best ways to stay safe while having the best time possible here at school. Make sure to utilize safety resources as much as possible, and spread the word to other collegiettes that might not be aware of them, so that you and everyone around you may stay safe and sound this school year! 

Sophia Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sophia Cole is a Writer and Editor for Her Campus WLU. She writes on everything from tongue-in-cheek topics like sex and relationships to easy reading pieces on the trials and tribulations of being a modern day woman. When she's not busy trying to be the next Carrie Bradshaw, Sophia enjoys spending time exploring new places, practising yoga and eating an abundance of different foods. 
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem