How to Spice Up Your “Netflix and Chill”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Looking for ways to heat up your movie date night? Here are a few tactics to keep them asking for more! These popcorn recipes will certainly do the trick.

1. Marshmallow

Melt ½ cup of butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in 12 big marshmallows and stir constantly until melted. Pour the mix over your popcorn and let it cool for a couple of minutes. You can even drizzle chocolate sauce overtop and add some M&Ms to the mix!

2. Peanut Butter

Mix ½ cup of honey and ½ cup of sugar into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 2 minutes, take it off the heat, and add ½ cup of peanut butter. Stir until the peanut butter has melted and then stir in ½ teaspoon of vanilla. Pour this tasty mixture over your popcorn, stir, and let it cool for 10 minutes.

3. Cinnamon Sugar

Combine 2 teaspoons of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and pour it over the popcorn., then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture and toss to coat.

4. Cookies and Cream

In a microwavable bowl, combine 1 bag of white chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until melted. Next, put 12 Oreo cookies in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Lay out the popcorn onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper and pour the melted chocolate overtop with the crushed Oreo. Spread out with spatula until the popcorn is completely covered. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens, break into pieces and enjoy!

5. Parmesan

Mix your popcorn with melted butter and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Add salt and pepper, and for some extra spice, sprinkle cayenne on top!

6. Ranch and Chive

In a small bowl, combine 1 ½ tablespoons dried chives, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried dill, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Mix the herbs with 4 tablespoons of canola or sunflower oil and drizzle over your popcorn.

7. Garlic and Herb

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat with 1 garlic clove (pressed through a garlic press), and add ½ teaspoon dried thyme and ¼ teaspoon dried basil. Heat until the garlic softens and pour over your popcorn. Sprinkle salt and pepper and add Parmesan or mozzarella cheese to make it cheesier!

8. Salt and Vinegar

Drizzle malt vinegar and sprinkle fine sea salt over your popcorn. You can also add some dried dill and melted butter for more flavour!

Hope these recipes keep things popping! 

Hey there, my name is Victoria, I am currently a fourth year Sociology student and a new member of the Her Campus team! I can't wait to start writing and to be a part of such an amazing publication!
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem