This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being far away from your partner, friends and family comes with its difficulties. However, it also has a lot of added benefits. It can be hard to see how anything good can come from being away from the people you love and care about but surprisingly, a little distance can go a long way when it comes to building fundamentally strong relationships.

You learn to appreciate each other

One thing that you certainly learn with distance is how much you miss the people you have in your life. People who you used to talk to every day and see often are now not available at convenient times. It is easy to take the people you love for granted when they are at your fingertips but being so far away from them makes you realize just how great they are. It also gives you some insight into just how integral they are to your life. Likewise, your partner, friends and family will also feel the same way about you. Distance gives you a deeper appreciation for other people and will make the time you do spend together that much more special.

It gives you time to develop who you are

When people are an integral part of your life it can be so hard to not associate who you are with who they are. Your personality traits, hobbies, likes and dislikes are all so connected that it is easy to get lost in the people around you. Being apart is a great way to figure out who you are. It is also a great way to get a fresh perspective on the people in your life. It allows you and them to remember why you love each other, and to understand who you are on your own. That sense of independence is one that is needed so that relationships don’t feel claustrophobic, which ultimately results in a healthier relationship overall.

It builds trust

Trust is an integral part of any healthy relationship; whether it’s your parents trusting you to be able to take care of yourself or your partner trusting you to stay loyal, it’s something you need for a relationship to thrive. Being far away gives you a prime opportunity to build up trust with the people you love. It’s a given that you will discuss what the expectations are of the distance at hand. Being able to stick to the expectations, thereby not letting anyone down, is a great way to build long-lasting trust.

It builds your time management skills

Life is hectic at best. Making time for people you love, though a priority, sometimes doesn’t always make it to the top of your list. When you no longer have the luxury of convenience, scheduling people into your life becomes a necessity. Life will only get busier and having the ability to make time for the people you love is very important. It takes two to communicate properly about your needs and expectations. Having those needs and expectations ironed out in a way that works well for both of you will prove to be a lifelong skill that will set the tone for a lifetime of good communication.

Time and time again you hear about how distance can be the end of all relationships. Friends grow apart. Couples break up. You lose touch with your family. That being said, the people who do make it through the distance with you are going to be the ones you keep in your life forever.

Adrianna Pater

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Adrianna - 4th year Film and Management student at Wilfrid Laurier University. You will probably find me at the library. Instagram @AddiePater