This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Black Lives Matter (BLM) isn’t a one-time thing. A person can’t just go to one protest or sign one petition and believe that they’ve done enough to support the movement targeted to diminish the continuous, racially motivated violence faced by black people. Though members of other minorities face inequalities, the injustices faced by the members of the black community do not compare. The blatant disregard for black lives by politicians and specific groups of people cannot be concealed, and the discrimination and violence will only continue. As society evolves, it is important to remember that movements like BLM shouldn’t have to exist as if they are simply fighting for basic human rights for everyone. Support and advocacy don’t stop at reposting a social media post. Keep reading to find out more ways to support the movement and black lives.

Educate People

Numerous times, people of colour, specifically members of the Asian community, say that they do not completely understand the BLM movement and they feel that they deserve similar representation for their community that the movement is trying to provide black people. The term “All Lives Matter” usually follows this statement, and it shows a complete lack of understanding of the history of black individuals. Though it is understandable that other minorities face forms of discrimination and inequality, it is extremely ignorant to state that other communities face the same violence or injustices as the black community. The first step is to educate oneself and surrounding people. Having a tough conversation with family and friends means informing them that snide remarks or racial biases are hurting the movement and society. Simply explaining the movement and the inclusivity it provides starts the conversation and means that others will be spreading awareness and not hate or misinformation. Don’t ignore the racist undertones or white supremacy, but instead encourage others to learn more about the movement and the injustices being faced. Of course, all communities deserve representation and equality, but if the first statement that follows “Black Lives Matter” is “Brown Lives Matter” or “Blue Lives Matter,” there is a serious lack of understanding of the movement and empathy for victims who have faced centuries worth of violent crimes.

Participate and Donate

Since COVID-19 is still around, it is understandable that people want to take precautions, but that doesn’t mean people can’t do anything to support BLM. If it is safe, protesting is a great way to stand up and spread awareness. However, even from the comfort of a house, one can sign petitions, raise awareness and donate to the appropriate organizations. The only way things will change is if it is demanded. This doesn’t mean encouraging violence or participating in cyberbullying, but instead educating others and partaking in action to support the cause. Signing petitions promoted by identified BLM supporting organizations will mean that donations are going to, and information is coming from, the correct people. Do research to ensure that the organizations or people you are supporting are legit, and don’t encourage others to support a cause without knowing and understanding their message or values. As mentioned before, simply reposting a message does align your values with BLM is not enough. Try to share your opinion, find articles or do other forms of research to support the movement and black lives.

Shop or Volunteer with Black-Owned Businesses

There are numerous black-owned businesses and organizations that need assistance. This can range from purchasing products from black-owned businesses that support equal pay to volunteering with or donating to associations that are supporting black lives. A simple Google search can show groups that need to be supported, such as the Black Women in Motion, a Toronto-based initiative that supports the advancement of black women and survivors of sexual violence, Black Health Alliance which works to improve the health of black individuals in Canada and Black Mental Health Matters, which supports low to no-cost mental health workshops led by black therapists and wellness professionals. Supporting BLM means respecting and advancing black lives. The only way this can be done is by ensuring that the black community has the same opportunities and support that everyone else does.

Hopefully, this article has provided some insight into different ways to continuously support the Black Lives Matter movement and raise awareness about issues and injustices faced by the black community. No matter what skin tone, today, no community should have to demand equality and basic human rights.

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!