scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix
Style

How to Bring ‘Bridgerton’ Fashions into the 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

After months of staying indoors and quarantining, I think I speak for all of us in saying that we needed a new show to distract us – and thankfully, we were blessed with Bridgerton. There are many reasons to love the show – I’m sure you’ve seen the dreamy Duke of Hastings by now – but something I didn’t expect to enjoy so much were the costumes. They were absolutely stunning, bringing the show to a whole other level of binge-worthy. And while I don’t necessarily want to be wearing full ball gowns on a daily basis or anything, I am feeling inspired to take notes from the extravagantly-dressed characters. If you’re also wanting to take some inspo from our collective new obsession, read on for some of my favourite ways to modernize Bridgerton’s fashions.

Corsets

Corsets were already a trending wardrobe addition, but I hope that Bridgerton shoves them into the mainstream. They have the ability to add a touch of class to any outfit, whether it’s casual or formal. Pairing one with a silk skirt looks timeless, but I’m personally a huge fan of people layering them. In combination with a nice long-sleeve sweater and some nice denim or leather pants, a corset adds a fun edge to a classic outfit.

Woman in an outfit featuring a corset
Photo by laurence la madeleine on Unsplash

If you aren’t ready to fully embrace corsets, dresses with lace-up features have been increasingly popular as of late, and are a more subdued way to mimic the aesthetic of a corset.

Bright Colours

Penelope might not have been a fan, but I personally loved all the bright colours the Featherington family frequently wore. Their signature colour was a bright yellow, which isn’t unlike one of Pantone’s 2021 Colours of the Year. Whether it’s a coincidence or not, Bridgerton has me feeling inspired to add some yellow to my closet.

Not vibing with the yellow? You can still partake in this trend! Any brighter jewel tone will have you standing out, even if it isn’t quite as much as the Featheringtons. 

Empire Waists

If you’re not familiar with this particular silhouette, empire waists are essentially creating a higher waistline than your natural one, normally placing it just below the bust. We see them a ton in Bridgerton, as they seem to be a go-to style for Daphne and the other ladies of the social scene. Unfortunately, wearing floaty maxi dresses with empire waists wouldn’t be the most practical choice at this time, given that it’s freezing out and there aren’t really any occasions for anyone to get dressed up. That said, you can implement this trend via a nice blouse – and as luck will have it, flowy tops have been very trendy as of late! If you do have reason to get dressed up, like celebrating a birthday in your household, do make sure to keep an empire waist dress in mind!

Muted Pastels

If you want to channel the more refined vibes of the Bridgerton family instead of the more in-your-face clothing choices of the Featheringtons, pastels are the way to go. Luckily, they are very easy to wear! Daphne and her family are frequently adorned in baby blue colours, but you can go for whatever colour best suits your personal preferences. Light sage green is especially on-trend right now!

Need help incorporating pastels into your wardrobe? Pairing them with neutrals is a great subtle way to add some colour to your outfits. If you want to take it up a notch? Own the look with a full monochromatic outfit! A matching lounge set would be a great look for your zoom classes.

Accessories Galore

Cressida may have been cold-hearted, but she was also glamourous AF. She had gorgeous dresses and elaborate hairstyles, but what I loved most about her outfits was the accessories she paired with them. She always had lots of jewels and gold on, which might be a bit much for an everyday look, but some classic pearl earrings or a delicate gold chain necklace would be a great way to elevate a casual look and look more dressed up.

Courtesy of GLDN

We might not have anywhere to go, but still getting dressed can help a ton with productivity, so take some inspiration from Bridgerton and enhance your study-from-home game! 

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her