Holiday Books to Read to Get You in the Festive Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The holiday break is upon us and I personally can’t wait to spend as much time as possible reading the many books that have piled up on my TBR. One of my personal favourite activities to do during the winter break is to cozy up by the fire near my Christmas tree with a nice cup of hot chocolate and a holiday book in hand. Nothing makes me feel more festive than reading a cute holiday romcom. So, no matter what you celebrate this holiday season, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite (or most anticipated) holiday reads!

Holiday Romance by Catherine Walsh
This is one of my most anticipated reads for this winter break. I’ve heard so many good things about this book and I’ve also heard that the writing style is very similar to Emily Henry’s, who I absolutely love! This is a true romcom about two friends who are just trying to get home for the holidays when a snowstorm interrupts their plans. While trying to find a way home in time for the holidays they also seem to find themselves falling in love. I personally think that this book sounds fantastic and I can’t wait to read it by my Christmas tree!

The Christmas Wager by Holly Cassidy
I’m going to be honest, I bought this book back in October just after it was released and it’s been sitting on my bookshelf eagerly waiting to be read. As soon as I read the synopsis of this book, I knew that I had to buy it and that it would be the perfect holiday read. It’s about a real estate developer from LA and a man from a small town who competes in the Holiday Games to win the local Christmas shop. This enemies to lover’s book sounds like a Hallmark movie in book form and I know that I will absolutely eat it up!

The Matzah Ball by Jean Melzer
This enemies-to-lovers book follows Rachel as she attends the Matzah Ball to celebrate the last night of Hanukkah and to rekindle her love and appreciation for the holiday. She must work with her old summer camp archenemy, Jacob, in order to make this happen. While discovering her new love and appreciation for Hanukkah, Rachel finds that she is also starting to find a new love and appreciation for Jacob as well!

Duke, Actually by Jenny Holiday
I read this book a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved the Royal Christmas vibe to it. A relationship blooms between a playboy Baron and a woman who has given up on love. I thought that this was a really cute, fun and easy read that definitely got me even more into the festive spirit! This book is part of a series, although I’m yet to read the other two books but perhaps this will be the year!

Season of Love by Helena Greer
This holiday book focuses more on the drama side rather than the comedy side but nonetheless this sounds like a very interesting read! This romance follows Miriam, who inherits the Jewish-run Christmas tree farm from her Great-aunt and the manager of this Christmas tree farm, Noelle. From what I’ve heard, this is a very emotional and also heartwarming book and I look forward to giving it a read this holiday season!

‘Tis The Damn Season by Kimi Freeman
A holiday book inspired by a Taylor Swift song? Sign me up! I honestly don’t know much about this book other than the fact that the playlist that goes along with this book is filled with some of my favourite songs (lots of Taylor Swift). I’ve seen so many good things about this book online though and I can’t wait to give it a read!

A Court of Sugar and Spice by Rebecca F Kenney
This is a Christmas, fantasy, romance book that I can’t wait to read. I didn’t even know that this was necessarily a genre but I’m so glad it is! This book seems to be A Court of Thrones and Roses meets The Nutcracker, which honestly sounds so intriguing and exciting to me.

Kwanzaa Kisses Series by Serenity King
I’m going to be honest, I really struggled trying to find books that feature Kwanzaa which is honestly very upsetting. There seems to be an endless supply of Christmas books but it’s really sad to see that other Holidays don’t get the same type of representation in the book world. Luckily Serenity King seems to have many books about Kwanzaa that I look forward to reading over the next few weeks!

Three Holidays and a Wedding by Uzma Jalaluddin and Marissa Stapley
This book is about Hannukah, Ramadan and Christmas falling all at once. This follows the main characters, Maryam and Anna, who get stranded in a small town in Ontario during the Holiday season. This book is filled with so many classic tropes and swoon worthy moments that make it a must read during this holiday season!

As the holiday season approaches, I look forward to delving into these heartwarming reads that are guaranteed to add to my festive cheer! They’re all available on Amazon and can likely be found at your local bookstore! Also, don’t forget to always check trigger warnings before starting a book to make sure that it’s right for you. Happy reading and happy holidays!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.