This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Here’s to the women I know, the women I haven’t gotten the privilege of meeting yet — and the ones whose names I will never know. Here’s to the women across the globe, whether she is starting her journey on this earth or her time has passed. Here’s to strong women.

There is an expectation, whether it be said as a quiet whisper or as loud as a scream, that women are meant to endure a predetermined amount of pain. As if in this world, we must experience everything this that it throws at us, with a smile and a “thank you.” We never truly voice our anger or are ignored when we finally do. It is a game that I don’t remember ever signing up for. It’s a game that I didn’t even know that I needed to play. No rulebook, just winging it the best way I know how.

Yet this game made me stronger. And I’m confused to whether I should be appalled or grateful. Furious at the traumas that I have experienced, but thankful for the lessons I have learned. And I’m not the only one. Each woman experiences a moment or moments, where a sudden surge of strength appears and a promise is made that feeling weak is not an option. Middle fingers in the air so high you could see it from space.

So, to the strong women, before me, thank you. For making those independent promises. For carrying pain on your shoulders and teaching others how to fight. And letting lessons become lessons and stories to tell, so that I can have the opportunity to have a voice. I thank you for your history and for creating a path. I thank you for never giving up.

And to the strong women after me: I wish you the best of luck and say thank you now. Thank you for continuing the fight for generations to come. Thank you for standing tall and fighting for what you believe in. Thank you for using your voice to create a change. I believe you are going to change the world.

Lastly, to the strong women that I know. If I could take away the pain that you have all held in your hands and in your heart. I would. In a second, no questions. I would. If I could protect you all, from everything that has ever made you cry, I would never let a tear fall from your eyes. Since I am incapable of doing that, I instead send you all the love that my heart can express. I am blessed to know each and every one of you.

This is for my mother. For my sister. For my grandmothers and my aunts. For my best friends and the girls I barely know at all. For the intoxicated women I have met in bathrooms — and theones I will meet in the future. For my beautiful daughter that I pray I have. For me. Here’s to us.

Anaya Boucaud

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Student at Wilfrid Laurier University, studying psychology and women and gender studies. I love Peter Pan and chicken nuggets!
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.