This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Friends are an important part of our lives. They’re who we spend a lot of our time with, who we talk to often and who help add happiness into our daily lives. Friends also contribute other aspects of our lives that might not be there if we didn’t have them. We wouldn’t have sleepovers, fun shopping dates or people to share our deepest secrets with. We count on our friends to add this joy into our lives and confide in them as they’re one of our biggest supports. Because of this, it’s important to know who your true friends are and why you should value their friendship.

I think the first sign of a true friendship is feeling happy around each other. You don’t feel like you’re being forced to be around them or don’t have anything to talk about. True friends are happy to be with one another and are content just by being in each other’s presence. To me, spending time with friends shouldn’t feel like a chore, it should feel like you’re living your normal, authentic life, just with others by your side. You should feel like your best self when your friends are around. If you feel that you’re a different person and don’t reach your full potential around them, they’re negatively affecting the way you’re living your life. You should be able to laugh with each other and feel that you’re all collectively being the best versions of yourselves.

While being yourself and living your life with your friends, you should never feel judged. Yes, it’s normal to joke around with your friends and poke fun at each other, but you should never feel or make others feel embarrassed for being authentic. You want to surround yourself with people that love you for you and embrace your uniqueness. Along with this, you want to feel comfortable enough with your friends to be able to tell them anything that’s on your mind. You should feel that your true friends can be trusted and actually listen and respond to what you’re sharing. They’ll know how to comfort you and tell you what you need to hear. Your closest friends are the ones you can have deep conversations with while knowing that your opinions and feelings are valued.

When you feel heard like this and your thoughts are respected, you know you’re appreciated by your friends. They want to hear what you have to say and since it matters to you, it matters to them. In being heard, you know you’re supported by each of your friends and that they always have your best interest at heart. You can count on them to be there when you need them and they’re willing to work through things with you in any way they can. No matter what, friends are always there and checking in on each other. They want to stay connected with you and really care about you and your life.

While these are the signs that you have true friends, remember that it’s also important to reciprocate all of these essential parts of a friendship. It’s crucial that all sides of the friendship feel appreciated and valued. These close friends in life keep us laughing, get us through tough times and bring us joy. Next time you and your friend make a face at each other across the room and know exactly what each other are thinking, remember the love you share for each other and be grateful to have them in your life.

Sydney Greenwood

Wilfrid Laurier '24

I'm Sydney and this is my first year as a writer for Her Campus at WLU. I am going to write about topics related to school/academics and mental health and wellbeing. I want other women to know that what they are feeling and going through is valid and that others' can relate. I want people to find comfort in my articles and know that they are not alone. I am in my fourth year of music, concentrating in music education. I'm also working on a history minor. Outside of school and Her Campus, I enjoy baking, arts & crafts and watching true crime documentaries. As well, I love learning new things, whether it's an instrument, a fun history fact or a new hobby.