Alcohol Drinking Hands Party
Alcohol Drinking Hands Party
Alex Frank / Spoon

A Guide to Getting the Most Out of a COVID Summerloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re a student at one of the many schools in Waterloo, then I’m sure you have heard all your friends talking about Summerloo and how it changed their lives. If you haven’t stayed in Waterloo for the summer, then you are missing out. There is nothing better than living in a student town when the weather is warm, the drinks are flowing and the backyard parties happen daily. While things are different with social distancing restrictions, it is still possible to have an incredible summer here in Waterloo! Here are my tips on how to get the most out of your COVID Summerloo!

Waterloo Park

This is the place to be in the summer! Grab your housemates or a small group of friends and spend your day outside in the park. Invest in some outdoor games like Spikeball or a few footballs to throw around. Pack some snacks, water, a speaker, a book and a towel and you’re set for the day. Find a spot near some shade and either get active, lounge around and read, soak up the sun or any combination of the three. 

Backyard Parties

Everyone loves a good ‘darty’ and Summerloo is the perfect time to throw one. This is a safe way to see your friends, as you are outside and have space to socially distance. Make sure you’re only inviting the people in your social circle! Turn the music up, pour some drinks and play some drinking games. If you have a kiddie pool, this is the perfect chance to fill it up and cool off from the hot summer sun! 

Sunset Charcuterie Boards

My favourite activity from last summer was watching a gorgeous sunset with an even more attractive charcuterie board laid out in front of me. This is such a great way to end a long day of fun with your friends. Grab your favourite treats, make a fun design on your tray and take it outside just before sunset. It is so relaxing to eat yummy snacks, listen to some chill music and watch the sunset.

Guelph Lake Conservation Area/ The Elora Gorge

If you’re like me, the beach is a summer necessity. While Waterloo may feel like it’s in the middle of nowhere, it’s only a short drive from two great conservation areas. The beaches are great because they are capped at a very low capacity to ensure space for social distancing. Bring the same games you got for the park, enjoy a picnic with your friends, tan while listening to your favourite tunes and cool off in the water.

Patio Season

The patio scene during Summerloo is so much fun! All your favourite bars and clubs open patios in the summer, as well as all the restaurants, so you’re guaranteed to have a good time. Continue taking Pub Bombs at Pub on King and get your sangria fill at Kentucky. Put on a cute outfit and make sure to get some patio pictures with your friends! Table capacities are low, so make sure you only bring your bubble.

Overall, I cannot emphasize enough how much fun Summerloo is! It is something all students need to do before graduation, and it will completely change your view on the city you have called home throughout university. If you aren’t sure of your plans for this summer, give Summerloo a try!

Emma Soden

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Emma is a 4th year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University with minors in Global Studies and Criminology. She is passionate about reading, writing and fitness. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism with a focus on sports.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!