Fun Indoor Activities to Keep You Busy During These Snowy Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you live in Ontario, you’ll know that this winter season has been like no other. We get tons of snow each week, most recently getting around 30 centimeters overnight! As much as I love snow, sometimes there’s just a little too much of it. The snow is beautiful, but it can take away from our ability to go out and do things like run errands or even just go on walks, which I find to be especially important for my mental health during this pandemic. After our most recent snow day, I wanted to share a couple of activities that I participated in that helped to keep me busy while stuck inside.

Board/Card Games

One classic way to keep busy while stuck inside is to pull out some fun board or card games! Some of my favourite games include Coup and Cards Against Humanity. Avalon is also a great choice if you’re stuck inside with a bunch of people! If you don’t have any of those at your disposal, online games such as Gartic Phone and Skribbl.io are also great choices! You can play these with your roommates, friends or family, and it’s a great way to have some fun and socialize while stuck inside due to the snow.

Cook A Hearty Meal

During the most recent snow day, my partner and I decided to make a hearty dinner. We made some wholesome soup with pan-fried pork to stay warm! Not only was this meal filling, but it also kept us warm and cozy during the storm. The whole process was super fun, from making the pork to putting together the soup to laughing and eating together. You could also try some other hearty meals like a filling pasta dish or a healthy stew or chili. These dishes are bound to make you feel warm and cozy during the snowy weather that we’ve been having lately. The whole process can also help to keep you busy and allows you to have some fun while being stuck inside!

Start a New Book

If you love reading like me, then snow days are a great excuse to make a day out of reading. You can start a new book in the cozy confinements of your home while you watch the snow fall outside. This super relaxing snow day activity is therapeutic and, I find, really helps reduce stress from school and work. As annoying as some snow days can be, there is no denying that the snow fall is absolutely beautiful. Some of my comfort authors are Colleen Hoover and Taylor Jenkins Reid and reading their books during the winter months always helps me to destress and cheer me up. I recommend you give this relaxing activity a try on the next snow day if you’re looking to get away from the stress of online school.

With all of the crazy weather that we’ve had lately, there’s no denying that snow days can be a little inconvenient and annoying. Hopefully, these fun and easy snow day activities can help to keep you busy and relaxed during this crazy weather that we’ve had recently. Good luck and stay warm!

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.