jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall…ing Into Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Now that the weather has finally started to cool off, I’ve started to get excited about fall, and, more specifically, fall fashion. To me, fall is all about new beginnings, warm drinks, and an actual excuse to layer 12 pieces into one outfit (okay, I’m exaggerating, but still). Cooler weather is a great reason to bring out my favourite pieces from last season, but it’s also a time to embrace new trends and maybe try something I haven’t before. Here are my absolute favourite trends for fall, some new, but mostly old.

Burgundy

This is one of my favourite colours of all time, and I have been secretly eyeing my burgundy clothes all summer, waiting for the time I could finally put them back into my wardrobe. I own all sorts of boots and blouses in this rich colour, and I encourage you to do the same if you haven’t already.

Zara Two-Button Coat, $185; Aritzia Dalida Blouse, $145; Forever XXI Mock Neck BodyCon Dress, $16.99; H&M Ribbed Knit Cardigan, $49.99

Furs

This is definitely an old trend, but still my absolute favourite when it comes to fall fashion. My personal rule: the bigger the fur, the better (and trust me — they do keep you warm in the Phil’s line past October). Booties

Anyone who knows me knows that I can be seen during any season wearing some type of bootie. They are ultra-comfortable and versatile, and can take you from class to the bar with minimal effort.

Forever XXI Velvet Chunky Boot, $45.90; asos Chelsea Ankle Boot, $77.43; Aldo Stefi-N, $85; Steve Madden Larini, $180

The Cozy Factor

As a girl who craves eternal coziness, there is something to be said about being able to wear clothes that feel akin to cuddling up in your favourite blanket. Oversized sweaters and gigantic blanket scarves make me happy — and make those walks to class about 99% more bearable.

Monochrome

Although I try to branch out, somehow I always end up buying my clothes in black, beige, or grey. This new trend speaks to me on so many levels, because now I can simultaneously layer all my greys into one trendy outfit. Be thankful for this trend when it hits midterm season and nothing in the world could get you out of bed early.

Overcoats

I’m shivering 90% of the year, so I rejoice in the comfort of knowing it is finally acceptable to rock a coat both indoors and out. Whether it is a boxy blazer, a floor-length trench, or a leather jacket, these warmer statement pieces are the perfect fall must-have.

Fall Floral

What I love about this fall trend is that it will keep you reminiscent of those warmer months as it starts to get colder outside, and it is a sure-fire way to add some colour to your wardrobe.

Aritzia Talence Blouse, $120; Zara Embroidered Jeans, $25.99; H&M Satin Bomber Jacket, $49.99.

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.