Life > Experiences

Everybody Has Their Moments, Here are Some of Mine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Sometimes we all need a little reminder when we do something embarrassing that everyone feels the same way. I have a habit of doing stupid things and embarrassing myself constantly so here is a list of humbling moments I’ve had to make you feel a little better about your own. 

A four-year-old told me I was not funny 

I’ve worked at a summer camp for a long time and this job really taught me that kids can be brutal. This summer, I was trying to be funny and one of my campers laughed at my joke and another camper – with a very serious expression, informed me and the kid who laughed that I was not, in fact, funny. Like at all. Yeah, that hurt a bit. 

I had no idea that Fez on That 70s show’s name isn’t actually Fez? 

Only recently did I learn that they call him Fez because it stands for “foreign exchange student” and that isn’t actually his name. My friends were shocked I didn’t know but I’m really hoping this wasn’t common knowledge. 

Making awful movie predictions as if they are facts 

My roommates and I are obsessed with the After movies. We were all watching the movie and Hardin walked out on a balcony, at one point I confidently yelled out that he was going to fall off the balcony and die, fully believing that I was correct. If you have ever seen the After movies, you know this obviously is not correct, no one dies in them, they are so not that type of movie. All my friends mocked me heavily for that prediction. 

I slipped on ice and spilled my coffee and cried about it 

A little while ago, I was walking home from picking up a coffee when I slipped on the ice and fell down, spilling my coffee. Instead of picking myself up like a normal person, I sat on the ice and just cried for a few minutes. Not crying because I was hurt. Crying because I spilled my coffee. Obviously, my priorities were in order. 

Burning my back on my own zipper 

I have a gorgeous-looking scar on my back from a burn. How did I get this burn? Sitting in front of a fireplace while wearing a dress with a metal zipper and managing to not notice how hot that metal zipper was getting until it had literally burned me. 

How I thought a woman got pregnant 

When I was younger, I thought a woman got pregnant because there was baby juice floating around in the air and when she was ready to have a baby, she just took a big gulp of the air. I was far older than I would like to admit when I learned how someone actually gets pregnant and remain embarrassed about this idea to this day. 

Hopefully, this gave you a little laugh and reminded you that we all have our moments. Some we keep to ourselves and some that, like me, we choose to put on the internet. It can be so beneficial to just look back at all the dumb stuff that’s happened and just laugh at yourself because life happens and sometimes, we need to just be humbled a little. 

Allie Lancaster

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Allie is a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University double majoring in Psychology and English. She loves being outside and is a huge fan of hiking, boating and skiing. Some of her other passions include reading, drawing, travelling and her puppy.