This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The holiday season has just begun and with winter break quickly coming, there are many adorable dates to go on in the GTA. Here are a few holiday date ideas that are perfect for the winter season.

1.  Illumi Mississauga

If you haven’t heard of Illumi before, it’s an immersive light show with 13 different universes you can explore. Not only that, but the entire place is around 600,000 square feet, which is the size of 10 football fields! It’s the perfect place if you enjoy strolling around and there are little booths serving hot chocolate and snacks. There are many photo opportunities around the entire area, including a beautiful Christmas tree that’s perfect for taking pictures with your boo. Illumi is a unique date idea if you enjoy things like museums or art galleries but with a holiday twist.

2. Holiday Themed Bars

Holiday bars have recently become very popular and there have been a few that have opened for the season in downtown Toronto. Holiday bars typically feature festive-themed drinks and a fun-spirited ambiance that is perfect for all Christmas lovers. There are many pop-ups around downtown Toronto such as The Thirsty Elf at the Royal Fairmount and Mistletoes and Margaritas at Papi Chulo on Ossington. ‘Tis the season to be boozy and festive. If you’re looking for some new bars in Toronto, check out holiday pop-up bars for something exciting and festive.

3. Gingerbread Lane Fairmount Hotel

The Fairmount hotel opened an adorable gingerbread lane in the main part of the hotel’s lobby. It features real gingerbread and candy to create a life-sized gingerbread lane. As you wander through the gingerbread lane, you can smell the freshly baked goods that will put you in the Christmas spirit. There are also plenty of photo opportunities and many more fun holiday attractions right in the lobby of the hotel, including The Thirsty Elf, which I mentioned above.

4. The Toronto Christmas Market

Of course, I had to include this iconic holiday attraction. The Toronto Christmas Market is in the Distillery District and is probably the most popular holiday attraction in the GTA. The market features many booths selling warm drinks, snacks and food such as hot chocolate, soft pretzels and more. There are also many restaurants found inside the market and vendors selling adorable holiday gifts. My personal favourites are the bakery found at the front of the market and Balzac’s Café for the perfect cup of hot chocolate. This year, Dior sponsored the massive tree in the middle of the market, which means it’s going to be beautiful for all the pictures. Be sure to visit the market at least once this year!

Despite it getting colder here in Canada, the GTA makes the holiday season prime for some festive dates. Whether they are inside or outside, there are many things to do around the city to stay in the holiday spirit.

Anikka Salandran

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Anikka Salandran is a 2nd-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University studying English (still deciding her double major and minor!) When she is not busy writing essays and reading books you can find her dipping chocolate strawberries for her business or binge-watching Netflix. Fun fact: She has a twin!