This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re like me, AKA a little bit of a baby but also a lover of spooky season, this can be a tricky time of year. You might be craving those Halloween vibes, but not the horror that comes with most Halloween movies. If that’s the case, here’s a list of some not-so-scary Halloween movies you can watch that will still give you those spooky vibes without terrifying you.

Scooby-Doo and the Witch’s Ghost (Hex Girls!)

The Scooby gang has to help a mysterious author stop an evil witch, and everyone’s favourite band, the Hex Girls, is introduced to us for the first time! This movie is funny, spooky and one of my favourite Scooby-Doo films ever. If you haven’t seen it yet, you need to check it out, and if you have seen it, watch it again. It’s just as good as you remember.

Hocus Pocus

The Sanderson sisters are absolutely hilarious, and this movie is just so fun. Believe it or not, it’s only been a few years since I discovered this movie, but now it’s a tradition to watch it every Halloween season.

Halloweentown (all of them)

I’m 100% positive this is the Halloween series that defined our generation. The movies are just so amazing, the Halloween vibes are so good and watching these characters grow up in this world always made me jealous that my mom and grandmother weren’t secretly witches.

Coraline (a little spooky for those who want a not-so-scary movie night)

This one is definitely the creepiest on the list. BUT, as the most cowardly person ever, I promise that you can handle it. I watched this movie in theatres as a kid and it scared the crap out of me, but last year I was forced to watch it again, and folks, this movie is goooooood. Creepy, but good. The Other Mother is one of the scariest characters ever put to film, but if you’re a coward who still wants to be spooked this Halloween, watch this one.

Monster House

Stop motion is so often really creepy, but in the best way. Monster House is insanely good, from the evil house, to the creepy old man, to the weird kids. The backstory is so interesting and fascinating, and the climax is so fun!

(If you’re feeling the spooky stop motion, because I know there are a bunch that aren’t on this list, also check out The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie and Paranorman. All quality Halloween-y films that aren’t too scary.)

The Addams Family (the live-action one!)

Morticia and Gomez are couple goals, Wednesday is an embodiment of chaos and I love it. The whole family is just so wonderfully weird. The concept of a family who thrives on all the things other people hate is fun, and the movie is delightfully spooky in the best, most wholesome way.

Hopefully you found a movie or two on this list that fits your needs as both a fan of Halloween and someone who desires not-so-scary movies. In fact, if you’re looking for some company while watching one of them, come out to Science Building room N1044 on Thursday at 7pm and join the WLU Film Society (and me!) to watch Halloweentown. We can enjoy a not-so-scary Halloween movie together!

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her