sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Consider it Handled: The 5 Most Annoying Questions That You’ll Receive This Holiday Season and How To Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Being home for the holidays means resting up and spending quality time with the family. We’re sure that you’re already dreaming of the holiday treats you’ll be stuffing your face with, the hot cocoa by the Christmas tree and playing in the snow with your siblings, nieces and/or nephews. There is so much to look forward to this holiday season! This is a chance to reconnect with your loved ones and find out what you’ve been missing these past few months. Don’t you worry collegiettes, they’ve got a few questions up their sleeves for you too.

That’s right, we’ve compiled a list of the five most annoying questions you’ll get from the family this holiday season, and how to handle them like a pro. So, without further adieu, let the interrogation begin!  

1. So…are you seeing anyone? 

It will be that subtle underlying question that your parents have been dying to ask you since you stepped through the front door. Or perhaps your nosy relatives have had three cups of eggnog too many, and the question just popped out. Whatever the case, here are some quick responses to save you in the heat of the moment.

How to handle the situation:

If it’s no:

“No, but I’ll be sure to let you know when that changes.” (*Wink to lighten the mood.)

“I’m just not looking for anything right now, I really want to focus on my studies.”

“Nothing serious right now. Can you pass the cookies?”

If it’s yes:

“Yeah, but it’s just sex.” (Cue shocked expressions from family.) “I’m kidding!! We just started dating, we’re taking things slow.”

“Yes, I met him [insert place here] and I’m willing to see where things go. Maybe you guys will meet him soon, I’ll keep you updated!”

“Yep, six months now. Can you pass the eggnog?”

2. How are your roommates/school? 

Alright ladies, just chill, they don’t actually know that you and your roommates skipped class for 12 Bars, or about all of the crazy Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights you and your roomies spent at Phil’s, so just keep cool.

How to handle the situation:

“They’re good, we’re all keeping each other sane.” (Light laughter.) “School’s been crazy, I don’t know how I’d do it without my girls!”

“Quiet…[your school year] has been busy. I rarely see them, so we try to plan dinner nights just to give ourselves a study break.”

“They’re okay. Can you pass the fruit cake?”

3. Do you know what you want to do after graduation yet?

Well duh, of course not. The underlying question is also,  “Will you be moving back home or will we be rid of you for good?” Here are some answers that should ease their minds, so that you can all celebrate the holidays in peace.

How to handle the situation:

“It’s a work in progress…”

“I’ve made a meeting with an advisor at the Career Development Centre. I want to look over my options.”

“I heard Roxanne’s is hiring. Can you pass the candy canes?” 

4. Did you lose/gain weight?

Somehow it’s the question that always comes up. Who cares, you’re beautiful.

How to handle the situation:

Did you lose weight?

“I don’t know. Did I?”

“Is this a question or a statement?”

“All in preparation for today, pass the turkey!”

Did you gain weight?

Again… “Is this a question or a statement?”

“I don’t know, but I’ve been feeling content with myself.”

“Does it matter? Pass the pie.” 

5. I see the money in the bank account has been flowing, want to explain? 

Okay, yeah you’re busted. Between being too lazy to cook, the cost of alcohol, sales at the mall and again…the cost of alcohol, you may have been a little out of control when it came to swiping the parents’ credit card. What?! You didn’t think they’d notice!

How to handle the situation:

“The costs of books these days are ridiculous.”

“It’s not going towards alcohol. Okay, only some of it… Are we talking weekly or monthly?”

“I don’t have time to cook every night! I have to focus on my studies! Can you please pass the mashed potatoes, gravy and ham please!”

There you have it! These simple ways to handle the inevitable interrogations will definitely help you out this holiday season! What are some scenarios you’ve experienced when you’ve gone home over the holidays? Tweet us your stories @HerCampusWLUCA

•  
Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.