This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you are anything like me, quarantine has left you feeling bored with a lot of time on your hands. I have picked up a few new hobbies, as well as watching every television show and movie on all streaming platforms. Throughout the time I was living on campus, I never had a reason to watch cable television. Now that I am home all the time, I have been watching a lot more of it. 

Since quarantine, most television show’s filming and production schedules have been delayed or put-on pause. However, I noticed that game shows have quickly adjusted to the social distancing protocols, which allows for new episodes to air weekly. So, if you are looking for some game shows to watch in between classes, here is a list for you to look forward to throughout the week!

1. Family Feud

Family Feud has to be one of the greatest game shows of all time. This classic game is played with two families who compete to guess the most popular answers to fun, family-friendly survey questions. The most famous version is hosted by Steve Harvey on ABC. Other variations of the game show include Celebrity Family Feud, hosted by Steve Harvey, and Family Feud Canada, hosted by Gerry Dee. If you become obsessed with watching the show just as much as I did, you can play the game yourself! You can download the app and play friends on Facebook or purchase the video game that is available on PlayStation4, Xbox One consoles and the Nintendo Switch system. You can also play online for free at Arkadium.com.

2. Name That Tune

Name That Tune is a light and fun game show for any music lover, hosted by Jane Krakowski and Randy Jackson. This show will elevate your mood and have you screaming the names of your favourite songs! The game works by having two players compete against each other in a race to test their knowledge of songs performed by a live band. This band can perform pretty much ANY SONG! The first round rotates between six games. The second round becomes more competitive in Bid-A-Note, where contestants challenge each other to “name that tune” in a certain number of notes. The Golden Medley Round gives the winner 30 seconds to name seven songs, for a chance to win up to $100,000!

3. The Weakest Link

This game show is hosted by Jane Lynch, where eight contestants rotate in answering trivia questions. These eight strangers must develop a strategy and work together to bank the maximum prize value before time runs out. At the end of each round, the group decides on who they believe is the weakest link. The contestant who receives the most votes is eliminated from the game. If you loved Jane Lynch’s character in Glee, you are guaranteed to love her humour in The Weakest Link!

4. The Price is Right

The Price is Right is a classic game show that’s been on air since the ’70s. Currently, Drew Carey hosts this popular daytime game show. Contestants are challenged and tested on their knowledge of consumer goods prices. In return, they can win prizes that range from cash value, vacations and cars! The highlight of the show is definitely the Big Wheel. The show has returned amid COVID-19 with a new set and heightened safety regulations now called The Price is Right at Night.

5. Let’s Make a Deal

Hosted by Wayne Brady, this classic game show features contestants who are offered deals and must choose to keep what they have or trade for the possibility of winning the Big Prize of the day. There isn’t much of a strategy to this game, but it sure will keep you on the edge of your seat. The audience and energy are vital for the show, but the studio has had to reduce the audience limit due to safety protocols. The team had to adapt to this change by including two walls of virtual audience members with a few contestants in the audience. The advantage of this is that there is more of an opportunity for people to apply to be a contestant. If you are interested in being a contestant, you can sign up here.  

6. Sing-On

In this fun music contest hosted by Tituss Burgess, contestants compete in a chance to win up to $60,000 by belting out and trying to hit the right notes. There are eight episodes available on Netflix, including versions from Spain and Germany. Each episode has a dedicated theme, where the six contestants sing their hearts out to the biggest hits from that genre. The challenge is being judged by a vocal analyzer that compares their vocal performance to the original artist’s. It’s basically American Idol with mediocre singers, but fun for any karaoke fan!

Now you have a few extra shows to help you get through the week! Even if you don’t have time to watch the scheduled episode for the week, numerous episodes of each show listed are available on YouTube. You’ll never be bored!

Sabrina DeCosta

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Sabrina is a fourth-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Sabrina is cuddling with her Labradoodle, sketching or obsessing over Gilmore Girls! Sabrina also loves travelling and spending time with her friends and family.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!