Captain Marvel: Dudebros and Feminism in the MCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be a professional in the field of sociology or gender studies. There are varying definitions and stemming theories of the terms discussed in this article. The intent of this article is to be informative and thought-provoking.

It has been almost a whole year since Captain Marvel put the world in a frenzy. Captain Marvel is notably the first ever Marvel Cinematic Universe film to have a female superhero lead. Since the release of the movie’s trailer, Marvel fans have had mixed feelings about the character and the actor, Brie Larson. But why? What makes this character and even the actor so problematic, if they are?

Before we dive into figuring out and deconstructing the phenomena that were the public’s reaction, it’s important to define some key-words.

Dudebro

According to dictionary.com, “dudebro” is a slang term used to stereotype a (usually) white, young man that is a prep or jock. This individual is also unaware of his own privilege. This term is not intended to discriminate as it’s used in memes and humorous conversation. Despite its origin, this term brings privilege to the attention of many young individuals, perhaps for the betterment of society. Take that, boomers!

Feminism

Everyone has something to say about the infamous term “feminism”. How many of us have been or know someone who has been reluctant to identify as a feminist? Most of the time we’re hesitant because of the stigma surrounding feminism. There are various different forms of feminism and the one that most people recognize is the radical extremist feminist – but that is a part of a different conversation.

Anyone who supports or advocates for equality and/or equity (depending on the situation) between all genders is a feminist. Whether you accept the label or not, is up to you. Liberal feminism is particularly concerned with laws and systematic change for equality and equity.

What does this have to do with Captain Marvel?

As mentioned earlier, Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel is the first female superhero to star in her own solo film. For any feminist, this is recognized as a remarkable feat for women and their future at Marvel Studies. I do recognize the Wasp though she was more a co-lead. As Carol Danvers emerged, both sides of the feminist movement grasped onto her as the MCU icon of feminism.

On one hand, she is seen as bold, powerful and influential. On the other, she is bitchy, stone-faced and arrogant. Before the release of the movie, dudebros took to Twitter and Reddit to begin trashing Brie Larson’s character for these reasons among others. Also, Brie Larson is known to be an activist and her words are constantly misconstrued which further exacerbates her image. Since she is associated with feminism in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the ideology and its advocates are painted with the same brush.

Dudebros, along with the bigoted population, are not used to powerful and popular female leads, especially in superhero movies. Naturally, the release of this iconic flick unleashed their fury. This fuels double standards since heroes like Iron Man and Thor have similar personalities. Now, you tell me, is that fair? Iron Man, for example, was not always the charming character that we mourned in Endgame. He had a trilogy and other movies to develop his character arc, thus gaining the favour of the audience. We have not yet had the same opportunities to understand Brie Larson as Captain Marvel – at least, the dude bros haven’t.

They fail to understand, or frankly just don’t care, how significant it is that a woman who advocates for equality is playing such an iconic role in an industry that has such a cultural impact. The call for equal representation has only increased since the release of Captain Marvel and even Black Panther. These movies are milestones in the journey for a more diverse silver screen.

Do you have deferring opinions? Is there a burning question you need to find the answer to? Or do you wish to clarify something? You are welcome to reach out!

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her