Campus Cutie: Joel Seetahal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Full Name: Joel Christopher Seetahal

Program/Year: Fourth Year Communication Studies

Hometown: Toronto

Relationship Status: Single

Describe yourself in three words.

Goofy, fun, friendly.

If you could have any superpower, what would you want it to be and why?

Teleportation – skip the Phil’s line, teleport inside! If we’re thinking big, you could travel anywhere around the world in a second and experience so much. It would be stellar.

What is your most embarrassing moment in university so far?

I’ll give you my second most embarrassing since my first is a bit intense. It was the 12 Barz of Christmas. Between the transition of the second and third bar, I took time to quickly run to campus and walked into my class really quick to hand in a paper which the professor said we had to hand in at the beginning of class or else it was late. So I showed up slightly under the influence of 12 Barz to hand it in, dressed in green tights and an elf hat. I’m at the front of the class explaining to the professor (slurring my words) that I’m just here to hand in the paper and that I had to go right after. The professor knew I was absolutely wasted, the class had a good laugh, and I awkwardly walked out. If you find yourself intrigued to find out the most embarrassing moment, feel free to contact me or ask me if you see me on campus!

Who is your celebrity crush?

Emma Watson, UN speech, enough said. Miley Cyrus is a close second.

What is your guilty pleasure?

Dancing to Shake It Off by Taylor Swift in my room when nobody is around (shout out to the O-Week volunteers!)

What is your favourite part about Laurier?

The community, it’s so full of amazing, caring people who want to see positive change in the world. Such an accepting and supportive community, who also know how to party.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who put down others, or people who walk really slowly.

If you could re-do university over again, what would you do differently?

I would get more involved and volunteer way more. There are so many campus clubs that throw great events, I wish I went to more of them. I would have definitely met more amazing Golden Hawks and have had a more enriched university experience.

What is your go-to bar or club on a Friday night?

Netflix is my favourite club on a Friday… kidding! I want to say Dallas, it’s a hoot, but sometimes the lines get a bit too long. House party anyone?

What was your favourite movie as a kid? What is your favourite movie now?

Favourite movie as a kid was Digimon: The Movie which is arguably my favourite movie now, but I’ll say my favourite movie now is Batman: Dark Knight Rises. I’ve re-watched it at least fifteen times now.

What was the best or most fulfilling part about being an Orientation Week leader?

Being able to inspire first years to get involved on campus and make the most of their university experience. Also, watching them grow from first year and seeing them volunteer and do more in the community makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I recommend everyone to try an O-Week volunteer position at least once during their time here at Laurier.

Joel is extremely friendly, so if you see him around campus, make sure to say hi. Hopefully you won’t be spotting him in his elf costume any time soon!  

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.