This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Emily Maulucci! Emily is a young philanthropist looking to make a difference in the lives of youth. You can often find this cutie running around campus in between facilitating CNIB meetings, class, and volunteering! 

Name: Emily MaulucciYear: 3rdProgram: BA Comprehensive PsychologyHometown: Good Ol’ Georgetown, OntarioRelationship Status: I am seeing Ryan Thor, who is a Pi Kappa Alpha at Laurier. This is so exciting, I feel like I am being interviewed for E! News.

What is your favourite part of Laurier?

My favourite part of Laurier is the sense of community. It has all the main aspects of a university, but in a comfortable small enough environment that doesn’t make you feel so overwhelmed. I love being able to walk through campus and bump into the same person three times a day! Laurier’s strong focus on student engagement, both inside and outside the classroom, is really appealing! Professors are dedicated and approachable to students! One of my profs started a casual conversation with me once while I was in the Starbucks line. Laurier has great Student Services, and the actual students and staff that organize programs and work there have always been so amazing and helpful; they should definitely be recognized for their efforts! No matter how many classes you have, or how busy you are, there is ALWAYS something to do on campus! Laurier has so many involvement opportunities; volunteer work, campus clubs, leadership programs, studying abroad, co-op work experience – that can help with future studies, work experience and that are just for fun! The memories I have made by just getting involved, attending events, and joining club associations are endless!

What are you involved with on campus?

Currently, I am co-president of Laurier’s new club “CNIB Laurier“. Which stands for The Canadian National Institute for the Blind.  This is a charity organization that brings eye care and vision impairment awareness to the WLU community. We have open booths that share information about our eyes, how to care for them and what programs the CNIB facilitates to assist those with eye impairments. The CNIB helps all of those suffering from vision impairment, not just people who are legally blind. We plan various events throughout the year and all proceeds go to the CNIB. Off campus, I volunteer at “ROOF,” a youth homeless shelter, by handing out food and providing a safe atmosphere for troubled youth.

How did you get involved at ROOF?

Wanting to pursue Psychology, I’m still unsure of what exactly I want to do when I leave Laurier, so I thought that volunteering for experience would be the best way to figure out my likes and dislikes. I know that I like the idea of pursing the field of social work and troubled youth. I researched places in the K-W region that dealt with those issues and found ROOF. I have been volunteering since October, and I’m enjoying it so much. I have really gotten to get to know the staff and certain youth that come to talk to me on a weekly basis while I am there. I work on making and serving food hampers, taking youth up to our donation room, where I help them pick out the second hand clothes they are able to take. As well a, just offering conversational support, a lot of the time, the youth there just want to talk about their life and what they are dealing with. It is really good practice to see if I want to pursue counseling, or continue to work with youth and adolescence; maybe in a different setting.

So you spent the summer working at Walt Disney World, what was the most important thing you learned from that experience?

I learned that providing magic to others opens yourself up to the possibility of finding your own true character. I learned a lot about cultural diversity, and how to handle customer service situations in more proactive ways. Disney allowed me to create connections with individuals that I know I will always keep in my life, or with some that may never see again, but impacted their vacation and family memories in a positive way. This, in my opinion, is one of the best things I have learned how to do thus far in my life.

Best movie you’ve seen this year?

I watched “Tammy”, which stars Melissa McCarthy, it’s a 2014 movie. I don’t think it was too popular, but I watched it and pretty much peed myself laughing! I thought it was so funny. It was about a road trip Melissa McCarthy went on with her grandmother played by Susan Sarandon. McCarthy makes me laugh in any movie she is in. I would recommend it if someone is looking for a movie where you don’t have to think too much and just want to laugh!

Who is your role model?

My role model would be my mom. She is the person who I know will always have my best interest at heart. She read me my first book, took care of me when I was sick, made sure I always had a lunch for school and taught me how to read, write the alphabet and numbers before I even started kindergarten so I would be ahead. My mom has been by my side with every big moment and mistake; she always cheers me on and never judges. I have dealt with a lot tough moments so far in my life; my mom has been my rock! I look to her for comfort, reassurance, support, advice and guidance; she gives this to me more times than I can count! My mom has shaped me into the person I am today, while continuously helping me grow into the person I hope to be; teaching me all life’s biggest lessons along the way. I would not be where I am today without her unconditional love!

Do you believe in fate?

My favourite quote that helps explain fate, and my mantra right now in my life is, “sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best.”

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten?

My mom always tells me, “things happen for a reason” and “always be true to who you are, because that’s what matters.”

If you see this cutie on campus say “hi” and ask about some safe eye practices, you never know what you may learn!

Danielle McKay

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a third year double English and Communications major at Wilfrid Laurier University. My love for pop culture is limitless and I watch far too much television for my own good. I aspire to work in Public Relations or a related field when I'm finished my degree. My role models include Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Emma Watson, Jackie Kennedy and Walt Disney.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.