Campus Cutie: Dakota LaMarre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Dakota LaMarre. Dakota, or “Dcotes” as his friends call him, is a tall, fun-loving, frat star-entrepreneur. He’s a great guy with a super friendly attitude, who is absolutely loving life at Laurier so far. Not to mention he loves Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier!

Dakota at the Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier launch party with writer, Paige

Age: 21Hometown: Port ColborneProgram: PhilosophyRelationship Status: Single

What are you involved in on campus and why did you choose to get involved?

I have been involved with the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity for two years now. I joined because I saw that the gentlemen in the organization were committed to helping each other develop personally, and that it was a great opportunity to network with like-minded individuals. I also worked with a startup company here at Laurier called GradeUp Tutoring, which I joined because I have a passion for entrepreneurship and because the company is focused on bringing the absolute best academic help to Laurier students. I played intramural sports, on both a basketball and Frisbee team, the Bordeaux Boy for Alpha Phi Women’s Fraternity here on campus and am a guest writer for Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier. I am also currently working at Wilf’s for my second year now, and I absolutely love working with such fun-loving people. It’s been a great way to meet new people on campus.

What has been your greatest accomplishment at Laurier so far?

This is a very difficult question to answer because Laurier has given me the tools and opportunities to accomplish some amazing things so far. I would say my greatest accomplishment since being at Laurier has been finding my direction and purpose in life, and I am incredibly grateful to this school for giving me that opportunity and motivation.

What is your favorite thing about Waterloo?

I love the community in this city because it draws together people who are committed to learning, bettering themselves and changing the world.

Best thing about Laurier?

Undoubtedly the people! No other community is full of so many smart, happy, and beautiful people.

If you could trade lives with another person for a day, who would it be with and why?

I never think about trading lives with anyone, I focus everyday on making my life the absolute best it can be. I want to learn and grow everyday so that I’m a better person when I go to sleep than when I woke up.

One thing you can’t live without?

Food. Not just in a “need it to survive” sort of way. I love cooking, and I find it therapeutic, and an expression of love and creativity. Plus, I love to eat.

What is your favourite night to hit the town in Waterloo?

Phil’s Wednesday, or Sunday, or Friday… Or any Phil’s night really (because Phil’s).

What is one piece of advice that you have for your fellow Golden Hawks?

Never get comfortable. Don’t lose the sense of urgency that you had in first year to get involved in new things, meet new people, and have new experiences. Laurier provides such an amazing community to find your passion in life, but you have to go find it for yourself. Never stop hustling.

Dakota is such a passionate and funny guy. He can be found on campus hitting the books, on the court sweating it out, or at Phil’s letting loose and having fun. He has a bright smile and even a brighter future ahead of him. We wish you the best in your future endeavors, Dakota!   

Paige O'Grady

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.