Campus Cutie: Chris Mock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Introducing our campus cutie, Chris Mock. This brown haired blue-eyed Aquarius is one of the most hilarious and kind-hearted boys that you’ll ever meet.  

Hometown: Hespeler, Ontario

Age: 21

Major: Geography

Year: 4th

Relationship Status: Single 

What are you involved in on campus?

Along with being involved with my fraternity, I am the Associate Vice President of University Affairs for the Students’ Union. I basically lead a department of volunteers, advocating on students rights, and working with institutional and municipal parties to ensure an exemplary student experience. I am also involved with Habitat for Humanity, I was able to participate in a build in Texas last reading week. 

What’s the most embarrassing situation you’ve ever been in?

I have a few; they’ve officially been labeled, “just being Mock”. On my first day of class I fell down the Fred Nichols staircase… that was unfortunate. I’ve fallen asleep, snoring on Silent Seven in the Library, and had to be woken up multiple times. 

It’s Friday afternoon, it’s been a long day and you’re exhausted. What do you do?

Pour a beer, have some friends over, and just chill out. Maybe watch the game on the projector and see where the night ends. 

Name a song that describes your life:

“Don’t Worry, Be Happy” by Bob Marley. 

What show could you watch on repeat?

House of Cards! Kevin Spacey, politics, and murder, need I say more? 

Do you have any hidden talents?

Most people don’t know this, but I am a percussionist. I can play anything form the drums to the piano. I also know how to read and write music. 

Do you have any siblings?

I’m an only child, but I do have many close friends who are like my brothers and sisters. They’re family, so really I’ve never felt lonely as an only child. 

Name a person, place or event that has touched you:

My grandmother has a rare form of oral cancer. She was due to have her fourth surgery, which would include a removal of a portion of her tongue. My family was told that after the procedure, my grandmother would not be able to speak again. 

This woman, my grandmother, has had a considerable impact on my life. We would have weekly phone calls where I’d update her on my life and she would do the same.  The joy that she carries in her words, and her amazing sense of humour, was something that I couldn’t imagine living without.

So, the night before her surgery, we spoke on the phone and I made it a point to just listen to her. The fact that this would be our last conversation terrified me, and I’m sure it terrified her as well. It was during this conversation that I realized how quickly our lives can change.

Upon ending the call, speaking in the strong confident tone that I’ve always known her by, she said, “I love you very much.” I thought this would be the last thing I’d ever hear my grandmother say, so I hung up quickly before she could hear me sob.

This was a few weeks ago. Thankfully, surgery now complete, my grandmother is still able to speak.  I still carry that conversation in the back of my head; I’ll never forget it. It was one of the most important events of my life.

Cherish the little things, embrace loved ones, and if you could hear one last sentence from someone you love so deeply, what would it be? 

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.