Campus Cutie: Adam Siek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Adam! Adam was the Co-President of Technology Management Laurier this year and is currently in Toronto for co-op. This go-getter is truly influential and has a contagious smile that lights up a room.

Name: Adam Siek

Program: BBA

Co-op Job: Co-op Analyst, Debt Capital Markets at RBC Capital Markets         

Year of Study: 3

Hometown: Ancaster, Ontario

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Sign: Cancer

Favourite place to go out in Waterloo: You’ve probably seen me at Phil’s before.

Favourite place for late night food: Burrito Boys after Phil’s

Favourite hobbies: Anybody that knows me would probably say I like to dance, study way too much, exercise, and hang out with friends. I also secretly love to read.

Best place you’ve traveled to: Sorrento, Italy.

Where you want to travel next: Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Hong Kong

What have you been involved in at Laurier?

In my first year, I was involved with the Hiring and Recruitment Committee for the Students’ Union. Basically, I helped interview for a bunch of the positions for WLUSU (Icebreaker, Foot Patrol, ERT). It was very exciting, but terrifying, because I was a first year interviewing upper years for positions I didn’t know existed. Also, there’s a ton of pressure around icebreaker hiring in March.

In second year, I decided to go past my comfort zone and apply to a couple of business clubs. That’s when I really found my passion for getting involved and meeting new people. I became the VP of Marketing for a business technology club called E-Business Laurier (now called Technology Management Laurier) that focuses on providing students to the technology world through exposure to different tech companies and executives. In my opinion, this is really important given the area Laurier is in. I was also a Corporate Relations Manager for Atrium Media group, the business school’s official media organization on campus.

This past year, I was lucky enough to be the Co-President of Technology Management Laurier, where my team did truly amazing things. We brought guest speakers from Google, Apple, and Kik Interactive, providing students with an opportunity to work alongside upcoming local technology startups, exposed members to the Communitech Hub, and completed a full rebrand. Above all, we had a bunch of fun doing it. I met some incredible people who will probably become lifelong friends, and it was the best year of my life. Thanks guys!

Who inspires you?

Without a doubt, my friends and family inspire me. Each of them have an amazing talent, skill, or ambition that always encourages me to explore opportunities, focus on my goals, and gain perspective. They truly shape who I am, and I am forever grateful for them. 

What are three things on your bucket list?

I’ve never really had a bucket list, but I really want to learn how to dance hip-hop, finish off my pilot’s license, and visit South America (Brazil, Peru, Argentina).

What qualities make for a successful relationship?

I think people complicate relationships by over-thinking and focusing too much on predefined criteria. By breaking it down to the basics, you really open yourself up to more and pay attention to each other. Above all else, you need to just enjoy spending time together, almost like that person is your significant other and best friend

What is the best advice you’ve received?

Best advice I received was from somebody that I work with. He told me to do everything I can, learn as much as I can, meet as many people as I can, then make decisions later. I think it’s really important for people our age to act on opportunities and say yes to experiences now rather than planning out life before it happens. It seems so open that way.

What has been your most memorable moment at Laurier?

My most memorable moment at Laurier had to be the Lazaridis Students’ Society Year-End Gala, hosted a couple weeks ago, where Technology Management Laurier won the award for Most Improved Club. The mix of emotions was definitely overwhelming, a combination of shock, happiness, and pride. From the moment I took over the club, my goal was to try and make an impact on the student body. 

What are your future goals at Laurier and career-wise?

In the upcoming year, I will be transitioning out of my Presidency with Technology Management Laurier to make room for the incredibly talented Mike Fernandes and Sandra Wieliczko. I plan on taking hip-hop dance classes at the AC, help TML if needed, and actually attend club events rather than plan them. Other than that, I hope next year brings many opportunities for me to meet people, make an impact, and learn.

It was such a pleasure getting to chat with you, Adam! Her Campus wishes you all the best in your future endeavors.

Fueled by coffee, books, flowers, & friends. Positive psych & vintage enthusiast. ig: @leannesaechao
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem