This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Robyn Hobbs, a Masters student here at Laurier and a local small business owner. She is taking the pre-loved clothing industry by storm, one chic piece at a time.

Name: Robyn HobbsProgram: Masters of Environmental StudiesYear: SecondHometown: Cambridge, OntarioRelationship Status: Taken

What’s your favourite part about Laurier?

Laurier has amazing spirit and community. Since my first campus tour when I was deciding what school to accept, I was sold on Laurier. There was no choice anymore. You feel at home with a supportive and connected community.

So tell me about your business.

Le Prix is a women’s pre-loved fashion business focused on helping ladies look and feel fabulous. My love of fashion paired with travel helps source my clothing, shoes, accessories, and light outerwear from around the world. Le Prix has an online store, and a boutique in my apartment (351 King St N, Waterloo) where clients can set up appointments and try stuff on just like any other store, but we offer free stylist services in store. Any type of request you can think of, we’ve probably done it. Fashion is all about having fun, expressing yourself, and putting your best foot forward, and we help with just that. The last couple months we have specialized in gift ideas as well. Guys are coming now for their girlfriends, mom, and sisters because we make shopping easy, and we gift wrap. The most rewarding part of Le Prix is that clients love sharing photos of them rocking their pieces from Le Prix. They tell me that their favourite pieces in their wardrobe are from Le Prix and each item from Le Prix always get compliments.

How did you get into selling pre-loved clothing? 

When I started university, I was paying my way and I wanted to look good and not have to pay a fortune. Plus I like having unique style that no one else has. To top it off, I loved the sustainability aspect of buying pre-loved clothing as an environmentalist. I’ve been told that I am a fashion picker. I think I am just good at finding treasures. Friends would notice my style and ask where I got it, and I would tell them the designer and how much I paid and they were so surprised. They started asking me to help style them and find quality and inexpensive pieces, which lead to their friends noticing their great style. From there, people were indirectly recommending me and I had potential clients coming to me before Le Prix was born. So many times, I would be shopping and find gorgeous pieces that weren’t my size, but I knew would look fabulous on someone else. I started talking about it to my friends for so long that one of my best friends just told me to “do it already”, sat me down, made me think of a name, create a Facebook Page and I had 3 pieces at the time! Now Le Prix has over 400 items in its always changing inventory, a boutique, an online store, and a great social media following. 

Tell me about your blog.

The Robyn Le Prix blog is a fashion and lifestyle destination. I like adventure, trying new things, and I think outside the box. A friend of mine loved my stories and joked I should write a memoir to remember them all. Over time, I realized I also wanted to have a record of the cool things I’ve experienced, and all the fashion styles (and to see them evolve over time). I started the blog this year in grad school, while helping my mom fight breast cancer, running Le Prix, and my boyfriend was on exchange in Czech Republic. I knew some whirlwind stuff was going to happen, and I was prepping to go away to Eastern Europe for 3 weeks. Needless to say, the blog turned into travel, beauty, inspirational quotes, fashion, and life thoughts. I have a lot of stuff going on and want to share with my readers how to build a life you love and be happy while doing it.

What is your best advice for a fashionista on a budget?

Only buy what is a perfect 10 on you. Otherwise you won’t feel great in it, and you won’t wear it. Shopping second-hand is an easy way to save money and find some pieces that you’ll love (and maybe help you find a way to buy BOTH of those dresses or whatever you’re trying to justify buying).

What is your favourite winter trend this year?

My favourite winter trend is hard to pick! To be honest, staying stylish and warm is a feat. But I’m loving fun patterned knit sweaters, vests, sweater dresses, and statement coats.

What was your proudest moment?

My proudest moment is hard to pinpoint. I would say overcoming adversity. I’ve always loved the quote, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” I think achieving your goals, or even failing and getting back up and trying again (and getting it right!), is what makes me proudest.

Who do you idolize?

Taylor Swift is my inspiration. She is my age and is a powerhouse. She has accomplished so much and continues to reinvent her business and brand. She has great style too. We are in different industries, but it’s good to look at someone your age and what they are capable of. Which means you are capable of just as much. And I never forget, “You have the same amount of hours in a day as Beyonce.”

Don’t forget to check out Le Prix and The Robyn Le Prix blog for all your fashion needs!

Danielle McKay

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a third year double English and Communications major at Wilfrid Laurier University. My love for pop culture is limitless and I watch far too much television for my own good. I aspire to work in Public Relations or a related field when I'm finished my degree. My role models include Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Emma Watson, Jackie Kennedy and Walt Disney.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.