Campus Celebrity: Red Frogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Every wonder how students can hold events, meetings, and activities, all while getting supported for free? Meet Red Frogs; the essence of a student support system!

What is Red Frogs?

Red Frogs is an on campus student support network. It is totally relationship based and is meant to love students in any way possible! We are a group that services students through providing pancake breakfasts, party clean-up, assistance in organizing club events, involvement in O-Week and support in residences. It is a no-strings-attached completely free service for students. 

When, and why was Red Frogs created?

Red Frogs originated in Australia as a support network at Schoolies Week on the Gold Coast in 1997. The organization moved into Canada with a desire to love and serve university students. It was created in order to help university students have a great experience during their time in school and to serve them in whatever way possible. 

What sort of services does Red Frogs provide?

Red Frogs is all about service, integrity, and relationships. All of our services provided are based off of these principles. Red Frogs both initiates events on Laurier’s campus, through Random Acts of Kindness (like giving away tons of free Halloween candy!) and spending time in residences. Events that are often requested of Red Frogs by students include pancake breakfasts, party clean-ups, and assistance with club events. We are also involved in major holiday events and special events put on by the university, for example, O-Week. 

How is everything free? 

Red Frogs is funded through two sources. It receives funding through corporate sponsors as well as from a faith-based community called The Embassy, a church for young adults that meets on Laurier’s campus. Through these sources we are able to deliver services to students at no cost to them!

How did the name come about?

Good question! During the first week of volunteers going down to the Gold Coast in Australia to help at Schoolies, the leader, Andy Gourley, went down to the corner store to pick up some candy to give out at the parties they attended. He picked up some Allen’s Red Frogs candies (candy that we can’t find in Canada – we actually ship it in from Australia in order to give to students here!) and they were a huge hit. The group became affectionately known as the Red Frog Crew and the name stuck! 

How can people get involved?

The best way to get more information for getting involved is to head to www.redfrogs.com and select Canada. This site provides more information about Red Frogs and the involvement of students. If you want to get involved by having Red Frogs at your event, feel free to email redfrogs@the-embassy.org for more information. 

Is there any message or information they would like to share with her campus readers?

Just that we are here to support you! We are excited about the stories we have from past events and are looking forward to being involved in the future! We are all about serving students and building relationships – ultimately wanting you to have the best possible time during your years at Laurier! 

For more information on Red Frogs, be sure to check out their Facebook page!

Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.