This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Chris Ackie is not just a defensive player for the Laurier Football team, but he is currently on the Top 20 list of CFL prospects for the upcoming 2015 draft. Check out what this Golden Hawk has to say about sports, Laurier, and life in general! 

Program: Communication StudiesYear: FourthAge: 22Hometown: Cambridge

Last week, the news was released that you were on the list for the Top 20 CFL prospects for 2015. How did you feel when you heard the news?

This was actually the second list that came out since the mid-season one, so it’s still an honour to be ranked #12 because there are so many great players around the league. I’m just going to continue to train hard and do my best to impress the CFL scouts at the CFL combine this March. I just hope I’m lucky enough to get drafted.

How long have you been playing football? What inspired you to start playing?

I started playing football when I was 10 years old. My older brother was my inspiration; he started playing a year before me so, as the little brother, I had to be just like him.

What was your proudest moment from this year’s football season?

My proudest moment this season was homecoming when we had a big 53-3 win against Carleton. It was a really good team effort and having a full stadium helped a lot.

What has been the most challenging part about balancing school and athletics?

The hardest part has been managing my time. I go from class to practice, then staying up late doing assignments, to having to get up at 6 AM for a team workout the next day.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I’m also involved with the Lettermen Club. I volunteer at their events, which include helping out with kids, autograph day, and any other events that the club features.  

Where’s your favourite place to study on campus?

The Concourse! 

What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who walk slow.  

What is your favourite part about Laurier?

How supportive everyone is, especially the athletics department at Laurier. I love how the school feels like a tight-knit community.

Who is your biggest role model and why?

My biggest role model is my older brother because he’s always been supportive with everything I do. He has taught me so much in life and in football.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Being successful at whatever I have chosen to do.

There you have it, from one of Laurier’s top football players. Make sure to congratulate Chris on his accomplishments if you see him around campus! 

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.