Campus Celebrity: ALIAS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As any golden hawk knows, there is always something exciting happening on campus for everyone. The concourse is always full of students, even into the late hours of the night. This is where you can find Kang Tran, third year BBA student, dancing into the night with his fellow ALIAS members. ALIAS, otherwise known as A Legacy to Inspire, Achieve and Share, takes a passion for dance, and incorporate the principles of dance culture to inspire others in everyday life. 

What does ALIAS stand for, and what does it represent?

ALIAS is a dance crew that stands for A Legacy to Inspire, Achieve, and Share. We strive on being ambassadors in those three pillars, because we believe that ALIAS should be represented as a lifestyle.

What inspired you to create ALIAS?

I love being the point of influence and inspiration in people’s lives. It’s fulfilling for me because I get to live day-to-day knowing that I’m making a positive impact on other people. ALIAS provides an outlet for me, allowing me to do what I do best while providing others an opportunity to be the best that they can be. Laurier lacked a hip hop community prior to me coming here in 2012. I wanted to change that and make sure that I leave something behind to grow and prosper when I graduate.

What does a typical week look like for ALIAS member?

Sore… All jokes aside, being a part of ALIAS requires a strong, full-time commitment. We host classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and have rehearsals on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. We are also advocates for being students first. Generally speaking, if we’re not dancing together or spending time with each other, we’re studying. Many members have part-time jobs as well so managing time to balance everything is crucial to our success.

As a team, what are you currently training for?

We are currently preparing for the annual OUCH competition that’s happening Saturday, November 8th at the University of Waterloo. Check out the competition details here.

For our two years of being established, we have competed at 4 competitions; placed 3rd twice, and 1st twice. We are hoping to have similar results this year at OUCH, and are working hard to accomplish that goal!

How can the Laurier community get involved with ALIAS?

ALIAS is open to everybody! We have a club called ALIAS Dance Crew that welcomes anybody. WLU students, UW students, high schools, any age, and any skill level are welcomed. We host classes every Monday and Wednesdays in the Concourse at 10-11pm. Registration is dirt-cheap too – $5 for one class, or $10 for unlimited classes for the term! I hope to see you guys there!

To find more information about ALIAS, you can hop on over to our Facebook Page! 

Elyse Mulhall

Wilfrid Laurier

Third year Communications and Global Studies double major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON, Canada. What you should know about me? Incoming Co-Campus Corespondent and Co-Editor in Chief for Her Campus WLU! Obsessed with all things surrounding: good conversations, good people, good food, instagraming and beyond. Like these things? I like you! Let's be friends? instagram @emulhs
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier