Campus Celeb: Kayla McKenzie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet our campus celeb; the lovely Kayla McKenzie! When she isn’t dancing through life with Laurier Recreational Dance, breaking it down at Phils, leading the Her Campus marketing team, or rubbing shoulders with the execs of TML, you can find her enjoying good food and good company at all her favourite local hotspots (she is a self proclaimed food enthusiast)! She’s passionate, confident, friendly and totally hilarious! Get to know one of our favourite gals, Kayla.

Name: Kayla McKenzie

Age: 22

Program: Communications

Year of Study: 4

Hometown: Etobes

Motto: Be the person your dog thinks you are 

Pizza or Wings: Wings, BBQ. Do I get anything for giving up pizza?

Disney or Dreamworks: Disney

Early Bird or Night Owl: Early bird

Board games or video games? Board games

Leather or denim? Leather, is that even a question?

What all are you involved in on campus?

I’ve been involved with Laurier Recreational Dance for 3/4 years at Laurier, I’m one the VP’s of Events for Technology Management Laurier, and of course holding it down with my girls leading Her Campus Marketing.

What was the first thing you got involved with and what inspired you to do it?

Fashion N’ Motion in first year; the charity dance show is where I made some of my dearest university bonds, I am still friends and dancing with many of these girls in Laurier Dance now. I knew about Laurier Dance before coming here so that was a big draw. My brother’s former girlfriend was involved in organizing dance programs at UW and that really helped me navigate and find my community here.

What has been the coolest thing you have experienced?

I attended Obama’s presidential inauguration in Washington D.C in what is that ’09? It was a really neat historical moment to be a part of. I mean, it created a totally different political landscape and changed the possibilities for our world and for future generations. It was neat to be a part of a moment when you realise future generations will live in a world where a black or female president – an inclusive world, is all they’ve ever known and that’s awesome for history.

What does it mean to be a Golden Hawk?

To be a golden hawk is to love your community and do whatever you can to make it the best in your own way. Golden Hawks love each other and have a chill time doing the right thing. Laurier keeps it one hundred.

If you could have an endless supply of any food, what would it be?

Since you asked, soft pretzels, donuts, burgers, pickles, burritos, wings, salt and vinegar chips, and frat burger poutine forever.

If you had to describe yourself using three words, what would they be?

Adventurous, Control-Freak, and Playful.

What, or who is your biggest inspiration?

My father has always been my best friend. I think it takes a lot from a grown adult person to be continuously transparent and accountable and my father has always been, I really admire that. He’s also kicking cancer’s butt and I mean how much more of a super hero does anyone need than that?

What are you passionate about? 

Equality. Every gender, race, sexuality, nationality, religion, age, economic bracket etc. contribute something special to someone’s identity and everyone deserves a chance to share that special something. I cannot stress how important equal access to education and social opportunity is for everyone.

What’s your favourite Laurier memory?

I have to say I love a Laurier bouncy castle, HOCO, and dance showcases are definitely some of my favourite days at Laurier.

If you had the chance to live anywhere in the world for one year, where would you go?

Switzerland.

Guilty pleasure?

Shopping.

What’s the most attractive quality someone can have?

The courage/confidence to take chances.

What are three things on your bucket list?

Climb a mountain in the Himalayas, go in a submarine, and fly a plane.

How would you describe your style?

Edgy, monochromatic, and chill.

Best advice someone has ever given you?

If someone shows you who they are, believe them. My dad quotes that a lot as a joke but it’s super true.

What would you like to be known for?

I want to be known for doing my best. It would also be pretty dope to be known for owning my own marketing company.

Quote you live by?

Be a light.

Kayla, you’ve accomplished so much during your time at Laurier and we can’t wait to see what’s in store for you in the future after graduation! From all the gals at Her Campus, WE LOVE YOU!

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem