BoJack Horseman’s Most Impactful Episodes (Spoilers Included)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

BoJack Horseman was always one of those shows I actively avoided watching. At first glance, a show about talking animals felt very childish. While I knew BoJack Horseman was an adult animation show, I’ll admit I had a hard time getting past a talking horse being the main character. Of course, all that changed when I started watching the show.

BoJack Horseman is probably the most beautiful, heart-wrenching, gut-punching show I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching. I’ve rewatched the show three times now with the intention of restarting it soon. The show starts with an introduction to one of the craziest protagonists ever. BoJack is, and I’m sorry if anyone disagrees, a horrible person (or horse…). He’s mean, a player, a narcissist and he uses his addiction to drugs and alcohol as an excuse for his horrible behavior.

Don’t let that stop you from watching the show though. Underneath this very, very complex character, is a beautiful plot. Each of the main characters goes through a significant amount of character development and, despite the fact that many are animals, it all feels so real. As the show came to a close, the meaning changed significantly for me. Everyone’s interpretations of the show will be different, of course, depending on your own personal experiences. However, I want to dive into the five episodes I found most impactful. Without further ado, BoJack Horseman.

1. ‘Fish Out of Water’ (Season 3, Episode 4)

This is probably one of my favourite episodes and I’m not 100% sure why. So, let’s unpack that a bit. Most of the episode is completely silent, which is different from anything I’ve seen before. It follows BoJack as he attends a festival for a movie he’s starring in. The plot twist is that the festival takes place underwater. Stay with me, I promise it’s not as silly as it sounds!

We watch him navigate the episode unable to speak and it portrays him in a much different light than what fans are used to. He seems vulnerable and kinder than normal as he attempts to express himself non-verbally.

2. ‘Free Churro’ (Season 5, Episode 6)

From the title alone, you’d probably never guess this episode is about BoJack’s mother dying. The two never had a good relationship and the entire episode features BoJack delivering a eulogy at his mother’s funeral. It’s paced much differently than anything fans had seen before because the episode is entirely a monologue.

BoJack spends the eulogy working through his emotions about his mother’s death and trying to come to terms with their troubled relationship. It’s heartbreaking watching him look for the right way to express how he feels and slowly realize he won’t ever get the loving mother he hoped for. It’s terribly sad, but it does give the audience some insight as to why BoJack is who he is.

3. ‘A Horse Walks Into Rehab’ (Season 6, Episode 1)

This episode gave BoJack’s character a chance at change. He still hasn’t come to terms with the death of his TV daughter, Sarah Lynn. So, after taking “one final drink,” he heads to rehab. The first few minutes of the episode show BoJack slowly sobering up. He seems to be getting better and admits that after six weeks of rehab, he’s ready to re-enter society. However, that’s until he unintentionally helps a young girl “escape” rehab. The episode focuses mostly on BoJack’s attempts to bring this girl back to rehab while resisting temptations from the outside world.

We learn that the girl he’s helping has no interest in bettering herself and has been in and out of rehab for a few years now. She’s a teen mom who doesn’t seem to remember too much about her baby. Nonetheless, it’s interesting to see BoJack’s reaction to another struggling alcoholic. It’s seeing this young girl struggle with her own addictions that seems to really kickstart his acceptance of the help he needs.

It’s bittersweet to watch someone who’s only ever been a bad guy try and better himself. He does end up back in rehab, signing himself up for another six weeks, while we watch him understand that he isn’t better yet. It’s nice to see how hard he’s trying, but also sad when you think about what drove him to this point.

4. ‘The View from Halfway Down’ (Season 6, Episode 15)

This episode follows a pretty unfortunate plot twist. After being sober for many months, a letter from his younger half-sister pushes him to relapse. The last we see of BoJack, before the previous episode ended, was him breaking into his old house and watching reruns of his old show. The View from Halfway Down begins with BoJack and a young Sarah Lynn knocking on the door of his mother’s house. The two end up at a table with a group of people who have some significant meaning to BoJack. Of course, the interesting thing to note about this episode is that every character, except BoJack, has previously died.

We come to understand that BoJack has been in this situation before during his overdoses. However, he’s also never seen the end of this apparent “dream.” As the episode goes on, BoJack starts to realize this overdose is worse than usual. He can’t seem to wake up and watches in horror as the others around him disappear. He frantically tries to wake up before accepting his fate and “calling” his friend, Diane. He slowly remembers how he arrived at his dream and, in hopes of finding any comfort with the figment of Diane he’s created, asks if he can keep talking to her.

It brings me to tears every time I watch it. Not only is it a sign the series is coming to a close, but it’s hard to watch a character I’ve grown so fond of be placed in a position where he’s faced with death. BoJack is a bad guy and everyone watching the show knows this, but I think the fact that he was written to be so relatable makes saying goodbye to the character so difficult.

5. ‘Nice While It Lasted’ (Season 6, Episode 16)

I suppose it’s kind of poetic to end this with the final episode of the show. This episode never fails to make me cry and I’m not sure I’m 100% over how it ends. We learn that BoJack didn’t die from his overdose. Instead, he was found and placed in jail for breaking and entering. After a few months in jail, he’s given a day off to attend a friend’s wedding. He ends up using this opportunity to reconnect and get some closure with those he was closest to.

Each friend he connects with has their own heart-wrenching scene, but the hardest-hitting moment of the show comes about 10 minutes before the episode ends. BoJack sits on a rooftop with Diane while they talk about his overdose and her life. He asks her: “Wouldn’t it be funny if this night was the last time we ever talked to each other?” While Diane has already come to this conclusion, BoJack and the audience start to realize this is the case.

The episode ends with the two silently reminiscing about their past, staring up at the stars. Mr. Blue by Catherine Feeny starts playing and I remember the heartbreak I endured as I began to understand I wouldn’t be getting the closure I hoped for BoJack and Diane. It’s sad when a show you love so much comes to an end, but I think what makes BoJack Horseman’s ending that much sadder is how realistic it is. Life doesn’t always give you the closure you want and it’s bittersweet to see that. Unfortunately for BoJack, he doesn’t get his happy ending, at least not yet.

I’ll love BoJack Horseman until the day I die and even though it’s not always happy, there’s something comforting in seeing reality being portrayed in shows. While I’ve only mentioned five episodes, there is something to be said for the show in its entirety. If you have a spare moment and are looking for a new show to binge that’s actually good, I absolutely recommend BoJack Horseman.

All my love <3

Abigael Chalmers

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi! My name is Abby Chalmers (she/her) and I'm a writer for Her Campus WLU. I'm a third-year student at Wilfrid Laurier, majoring in Communication Studies. I enjoy writing about life and love sharing my interests and opinions with others! When I'm not writing, you can most likely find me creating yet another Pinterest board!