jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best True Crime & Paranormal Podcasts for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Fall is arguably the best time of year: the smell of rain and rotting leaves, fuzzy blankets, candles, fairy lights galore, optional PSL’s and Halloween. There is nothing more comforting then hunkering down into bed, or a couch, in a pair of sweats needing something to do on those chilly fall nights. Napping? Too typical. Netflix binge? You’ve probably already watched Gilmore Girls over 100 times. But what else is there to do? 

Podcasts are the answer, my friend.

Akin to 1930’s radio plays, podcasts have recently gained in popularity over the past few years. In today’s modern social media age, news and stories circulate fast; consumers naturally want something to suit their busy lifestyles. Naturally, podcasts provide portable resources for such content, ranging in topic, length, and style. If you truly want to embrace the season, here is a list of some of the creepiest stories to occupy your ears. True-Crime and the paranormal are the perfect precursors to having the most contagious fall spirit.

“My Favorite Murder”

Embrace the contradictory delight of a true crime comedy podcast. But don’t let this fool you. The hosts’ Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark guide the show with clever quips and candor by sharing their personal favorite tales of murder. Each episode is an emotional roller-coaster; you’ll either experience side-splitting laughter or cry your eyes out. Nevertheless, Karen and Georgia’s storytelling abilities make it feel like you’re a part of the recording session. Did I mention there is the appearance of a cross-eyed Siamese cat named Elvis in every episode?

“And That’s Why We Drink”  

Join hosts Christine Schiefer and Em Schultz as they indulge in weekly wine and milkshake tasting while discussing the criminal and supernatural. Learn to embrace the terrifying and disturbing realities of living in the world. Libations are recommended…just don’t forget to lock your doors and put away the Ouija board!  

“Dr. Death”

This is one of the newest true crime podcasts to take listeners by storm. The 6-part mini-series follows the neurosurgical career of Dr. Christopher Duntsch, beginning with the fall of a Golden Boy to a butchering surgeon. The series follows Duntsch’s reign of terror in hospitals within Dallas, Texas. Journalist Laura Beil investigates the personal stories of both survivors and victims, and what components of the medical system continuously failed to protect its patients. Warning: the story is not for the faint of heart; especially if you have a fear of hospitals and medical complications.

“Lore”

Host Aaron Mahnke explores the histories surrounding the development of modern superstitions. Why are witches and wizards so prevalent in history? Who were the green children? Why are people afraid of what goes “bump” in the night? Mahnke researches why people fear the unknown and how they have attempted to manage it.

G J

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Grace is a twenty-something fourth-year majoring in History and Research Specialization. She drinks way too much coffee, has a passion for old books and movies.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.