Style > Beauty

The Best Affordable Skin Care Products for People of Colour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s be honest, choosing skincare is a big pain in the neck, and don’t get me started on the prices. It’s hard to find good quality skincare products that won’t break the bank of a university student. On top of that, finding the best skincare for darker skin tones is a literal mission. There are so many products that may not work for melanin-rich skin, but work amazing on lighter skin tones. Don’t you worry, because here are some excellent and affordable skincare products that are great not only for POC but for anyone!

What AHA’s are  Recommended for POC?

It turns out that AHA’s like lactic or glycolic acid are not the most recommended. This is due to the possibility of overuse which results in skin reactions that cause even further hyperpigmentation. Lactic and glycolic acid can be too strong for POC and even sensitive skin types. Be sure to use them in low percentages to avoid any irritation. However, a great alternative if you’re looking to improve surface issues like hyperpigmentation is mandelic acid. It’s a gentle AHA that can exfoliate the surface of your skin without irritation or the threat of further hyperpigmentation. Try out The Ordinary’s Mandelic Acid 10% + HA to start.

Sunscreen All the Way

Sunscreen is a MUST for any skincare routine but it’s hard to find one that doesn’t leave a white cast on darker skin tones. The risk of avoiding sunscreen can lead to worsening hyperpigmentation, and we don’t want that. A perfect sunscreen product for POC is Black Girl Sunscreen. It has many great oils like avocado, jojoba and sunflower that leave your skin protected and moisturized without a ghostly cast. Fun fact: it’s also reef-safe! But if you’re looking for a great drugstore brand, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion is another affordable option and my personal fav. It’s easy to grab in any Wal-Mart while you’re grabbing some groceries.

Add Some Vitamin C

Quarantine has got us feeling a little dull, but you don’t need to look it! Vitamin C is perfect and gentle for POC compared to many AHA’s. Everyone needs a great Vitamin C serum! It helps boost collagen and brightens your complexion all while protecting your skin. An amazing affordable pick is the Vitamin C Concentrated Serum by Derma E, as it’s good for sensitive skin and packed with gentle hyaluronic acid for hydration. Vitamin C is a perfect pick for anyone who wants to look a little brighter.

Shopping for skincare is always tricky but it doesn’t need to feel impossible. Hopefully, this little guide helps you incorporate some fantastic and wallet-friendly products that won’t compromise your skin, POC or not!

Anikka Salandran

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Anikka Salandran is a 2nd-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University studying English (still deciding her double major and minor!) When she is not busy writing essays and reading books you can find her dipping chocolate strawberries for her business or binge-watching Netflix. Fun fact: She has a twin!
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!