This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There is always a moment when we ask ourselves: “do I really want to go to class?”.

The answer to the question is “yes.” Perhaps that class is too early and you struggle to wake up on time, or the room is just way to hot for your liking. No matter what, you should always try your best to go to class — and here’s why.

For one: professors drop hints.

Yes, it’s true! If you ever hear a prof say, “that’s an important thing to know,” “I would go over this concept again” or even if they spend a little longer on certain lecture slides — that’s a hint. Sometimes they’ll ask you about something in a previous lecture because they want to make sure you remembered it. I mean, why else would they be asking? Hint, hint.

Attending classes also helps to keep you on track.

Professors usually start classes off with announcements. They’ll remind you of all your due dates and everything you should be focusing on. This will help you narrow down how you should be spending your time, as well as remind you of that assignment you almost forgot about or that quiz that you have next class.

There are also social benefits of going to class. I mean, we all know at least one person in our class. Use the time before class starts to catch up; or, if you don’t have a friend, you can make one. It’s always good to know people, especially because, if you do have to miss a class, you’ll have someone to get notes from.

Always ask someone to help you if you don’t understand a concept! If you don’t know anyone in your class, I’m sure you’ll bump into someone on your way. It’s always a good feeling to run into someone you know. It just brightens your day!

Another reason you should go to class — if you still need reasons — is that profs keep track of who really goes to class. They’ll keep in this in mind when they’re on the fence about a letter grade. Odds are you’ll do better if you show up. But don’t just show up: try to participate in class. It will prove to them that you know what you’re talking about, and it might be what bumps up your grade!

A lot of classes don’t even give marks for participation, but rather give them for just showing up. I mean, marks just for attendance? That’s an easy five to ten per cent right there! Is a few more hours of sleep really worth it? Besides, if you attend your lectures, it will help you remember things better for the exam. You can be stuck on a question and then suddenly remember the exact slide and what your professor said about it! It’s like another study method in itself!

There’s nothing really more to it, so I guess I’ll see you in class!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.