This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1. Hey Mik, how do you deal with a passive-aggressive roommate?

Communicating with someone who displays passive-aggressive behavior isn’t always the easiest, but it is important to try and understand where they are coming from. Sometimes people who demonstrate passive-aggressiveness are often too upset or angry to communicate their thoughts effectively, and instead bottle them up, which results in their hot and cold temperament.

It’s key when you are addressing issues with your roommate that he or she does not feel as if they are being attacked. Instead of saying what he or she is doing wrong, begin by discussing the issues and how they affect you personally. For example, you can say, “I feel that sometimes I have trouble communicating with you, perhaps we can have a chat about what has been upsetting you and work towards a solution together”. This way, your roommate will feel as if you two are working together, and it will invite a calm conversation between the two of you instead of it leading to an argument.

Remember, as hard as it may be not to get angry, it’s important to stay calm, understanding, and open minded.

_________________________________________________________________________

2. Hey Mik, how do you (nicely) deal with clingy family members (AKA my mom guilt trips me into coming home every weekend)?

It’s always hard for parents once their babies leave the nest and head off to university! It’s also hard on us students, as this is the time in our lives where we really want our independence and to see where the wind takes us, so it’s always tough trying to balance school and making time to see family.

Your mom might be having a tough time because she has spent at least 18 years of her life taking care of you, and, now that you’re gone, she might be feeling a bit lost. You can encourage her to find her passions now that she has all of this time she should be able to do things that maybe she hasn’t had time to do in the past! The point here is to turn your absence as an opportunity for her to expand her horizons.

If she is still guilt tripping you, then it is important to have a conversation with her about how you’re feeling. Explain to her that you’re really enjoying university and you want to experience it as much as you can. Also, explain that schoolwork takes up a lot of your time and it’s important for you to be at school in order to succeed. It’ll be hard, but she’ll understand!

___________________________________________________________________________

3. Hey Mik, it’s my first year here at WLU and I was just wondering what the best ways were to make new friends in university?

Hi baby hawk, I hope you’re enjoying your first year here! There are so many easy ways to make new friends! Such as:

– If you’re in residence, I found keeping my res room door open during the day really invited a lot of people on my floor to stop in and say hi! I was also usually eating snacks; food always brings people around.

– Joining clubs! There are so many amazing clubs on campus to join (Her Campus, wink wink nudge nudge) and be a part of! This really opens up the door for new friendships when bonding over something you both are interested in.

– Talking with people in class! I made one of my best friends when we had sat beside each other in class one day and starting talking.

– Events on campus, such as Wilf’s trivia nights (every Wednesday FYI)! It’s easy to laugh and bond with other people playing along with you.

-Get out there and be chatty! That’s what so great about the Laurier community: everyone is so kind and friendly, so don’t be afraid.

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem