Boot 6 Full Outfitjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Boot 6 Full Outfitjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Am I Trendy Enough? Why You Should Stick to Your Own Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Most fashion trends seem to have a lifespan, but there are some trends that continue to make a comeback decade after decade. It’s not because someone magically bestows that title upon a specific fad and then, POOF, it’s suddenly hip again. It’s because people are just into whatever trend that was.

Fads are items whose popularity is short-lived while trends tend to be reoccurring. However, that’s not to say that fads can’t make a comeback.

So what exactly is a fad?

FAD is an acronym now commonly used to describe a style or part of the fashion world that is no longer trending or “in.” FAD stands for “for a day” which makes sense because it essentially describes fashion items or styles that were in for what seems to feel like a day. While it’s not literal, the word is used to describe what we now see as fads.

Then what is a trend?

Much like the word suggests, in the fashion world, trends are socio-culturally ideal characteristics that are typically applied to apparel. Many trends become fads or are known as short-term trends.

Calling something a fad may seem derogatory to the product or item itself, but I think it shouldn’t be.

If someone can like vintage cars, you can like fads. It’s as simple as that. You don’t have to wait for the world to hop onto a trend before you can start wearing it again. For a long time, people thought that the bandana tops that were popular in the 90’s would never be able to pull off a comeback. Have you been on TikTok recently? These tops are EVERYWHERE! Although, some people think they’re pulling off a hack rather than bringing this “fad” back to life.

So, where the heck does this idea that something could go out of style forever even come from?

My theory is it has to do with how trickle-down fashion typically works.

A sweet new line of couture is created but of course, because of classism, only a select few can afford it. Now, once this line has gone out, a “knock off” version of that item will be made but at a larger scale so that more people can purchase it, but it won’t quite be like that one couture piece that we would see at Chanel or Gucci shows. This style of clothing would not really change but the material and intricate design of the product would look different than the original couture piece.

So, now the design has gone from its original designer, down to the wealthier commercial stores, like the Hudson’s Bay, and then it will reach the fast fashion industry. The fast fashion industry works at this incredibly wasteful pace that makes you feel like you NEED to get these new items of clothing because, by the time that couture design becomes a bit more affordable for the working class, there’s a new item that’s hot and fresh. Then, the cycle continues.

This is where our need for being “in” and “in style” probably stems from. We want to fit into a society that isn’t designed to have everyone fit together like puzzle pieces.

So, now what?

My advice to you is to find out what your style is, curate an idea of the outfits you want to wear and go get those items of clothing! Try thrifting rather than going to fast fashion stores. Maybe that cute top you wanted is being sold second-hand on the Facebook Marketplace. Who knows?

Point is, don’t let an industry designed to make you feel out of the loop succeed in doing so. Embrace your individuality and build on your sense of style because sis, you are HOT.

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!