9 Horror Movies to Watch in Time for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As a girl who’s pumped for Halloween by mid-September and unabashedly adores horror movies with a passion, I have seen enough spooky films to know which ones are worth watching. I usually sit bundled up in a burrito of blankets yelling my survival pro-tips to the characters, when in reality I would be the first one to die in the most stupidly preventable way possible. So fall into the Halloween spirit with me and get your Netflix and chill on with these 9 scary flicks! 

1) It Follows (2014) “It could look like someone you know or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you.”

My excitement starts to brew just talking about this movie. It Follows is so creepy in its own utterly unique way, that it had me thinking about it long after it was finished (nightmare fuel, I’m telling you). I won’t go too far into detail since I don’t want to give anything away, but it features a concept expertly constructed to make it just believable enough that you’re left wondering what you would do if you were in the same situation, faced with a mysterious entity that was constantly following you. It’s unnerving in a way that you don’t expect, the characters feel like people you may know, and the killer soundtrack is paired with a purposely ambiguous time period that gives it a vintagey feel that just adds to its charm. 2) The Descent (2005) “Hey there’s something down here…”

I stumbled upon the movie by mistake, and I’m so glad that I did. Finding a horror movie that’s like no other can be a little challenging, but The Descent proved to be a remarkable exception. Not only does it feature a kick-*ss female cast without a man in sight, the atmosphere for the film is set up almost instantly, so you’re hooked from start to finish. The group of female friends venture out to the middle of nowhere to a remote cave that no one has ever explored before. Suffice to say they get trapped in this cave, which proves to be horrifying enough on its own, with extremely dark, claustrophobic spaces that will probably give you physical discomfort. Added into it, though, is an absolutely terrifying bunch of nightmare-fueling bastards that I would set on fire the minute I saw them. It’s tense, action-packed, and the endings (there’s two, depending on which country-release version you watch) will have you truly terrified. 3) Sinister (2012) “Once you see him, nothing can save you.” 

As a person who irrationally finds Ethan Hawke annoying, he was a pleasant surprise as the star in this absolutely chilling movie. Though it uses typical horror movie tropes, it blends them into a story that is original and actually frightening. The main character is arguably a moron for the decisions he makes (i.e. moving into the house where the murder of an entire family took place, willingly watching a bunch of horrific “home videos” he finds in the dusty attic), but you’re pulled along into the story with more interest placed on how his stupidity will bring out the monster he’s unearthed. 4) Hush (2016) “Silence can be killer.”

Arguably more of a thriller than anything else, I still had to include this underrated film for the power of its premise and impact. The main character is another strong female who happens to be deaf and lives alone in the woods. Immediately, you know that this can’t be good. She’s eventually terrorized in her own home by a masked killer who figures out quickly that she won’t be able to hear him. Lovely. This movie had me perpetually nervous and wondering the whole way through how she wasn’t just mentally shutting down the second she saw his face in her window and rocking back and forth in a corner accepting her fate. 5) You’re Next (2011)I wanna meet your family.”

If you want to watch an unexpectedly good horror movie, I completely recommend You’re Next. Not only does it feature one of the most bad*ss female leads I’ve ever seen in a scary movie that actually knows how to defend herself, the whole premise of the movie is clever and actually interesting. The ending was an actual surprise and the spooky bits are almost overshadowed by just how much you’ll want to cheer on the awesome leading lady. 6) The Witch (2015) “There’s evil in the wood.”

On principle, I generally find movies set in the past automatically more creepy than those set in the present. The Witch is certainly no exception to this idea, and it makes me feel very thankful that I’m not a part of a woods-dwelling Puritan family from the 17th century. It starts out slow, which may be a turnoff for some, but once it picks up the events unfold in the most artistically crafted and creepy way possible. Witches are all fun and games when they’re cartoonish green ladies with a bunch of black cats (sounds like me), but I’m out the minute they start to feel real. Can’t have Halloween without a little Devil worship and witchcraft. 7) Scream (1996) “What’s your favourite scary movie?” 

You can’t have a horror movie list without mentioning Scream. Ignoring the guilty pleasure I have with its numerous sequels, this movie is a shameless classic that has a blend of gore, genuine scares, and a villain that makes me distrust high school teenagers even more than I normally do. Ignoring the somewhat dated stereotypes and clothes, this gem is a definite worthwhile watch if you want something that’s predictably spooky in the best way possible. 8) Creep (2014) “See ya soon, buddy!”

Watching this movie was probably the best and worst decision I made the day that I decided to watch it. Creep centers around a normal guy who is a filmmaker, and another guy whom he meets to make a movie for. It just so happens that this man is an absolute nut that you don’t trust the minute he appears on screen. The setup of the film makes you immediately feel uneasy about everything that happens, and you’re honestly left not knowing how things will turn out. It’s unsettling in a way that most movies can’t translate to their audience, and by the time the credits roll you’re left wanting a sequel, even though you really shouldn’t be. 9) Halloween (1978) “It’s Halloween, everyone’s entitled to one good scare.”

My personal favourite and an absolute timeless watch in the genre of horror is the last movie on this list. Halloween is arguably one of the best because of its overall simplicity. The budget to make it was next to nothing, and it easily proves that you don’t need a lot in order to make a big impact. The score is by far the most haunting and recognizable aspects of this eerie classic, and it matches perfectly with all of the terrors that happen onscreen. The scene where you see Michael Myers standing across the street just staring always scares me no matter how many times I’ve seen it. These scary movies should set you up for a delightfully spooky lead-up to Halloween. Although they won’t be nearly as frightening as midterms, these can be a nice distraction when all you want to do is be spooked by something not in the daunting real-world for once.

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem